Do updates to themes usually overwrite icons?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by creativedogmedia, Jun 10, 2012.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I use Jaku and an update came out yesterday....I had just finished redoing some of the icons and the update overwrote all of my changes...I have it back to where it was but just curious - do you guys just not update if you want to keep things how they are?

2. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

What I do is make a seperate folder that I put higher in the winterboard list. In there I put any changes I make to the theme. That way, when the theme updates all my changes are still there.

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

It depends. I use winterboard so its usually not a problem unless the developer changes then name of the icon, in which all I do is rename my themed icon. But I haven't ran into that problem recently, all updates saw no icon changes.

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Can you elaborate? They just put out another update a couple of days ago and I'd rather not install if it's going to jack up my tweaks.

5. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

If I, for example, make a few different icons for the theme I put them in a seperate folder using ifile. So if your theme is called "TestTheme" then I copy all my changes into another folder and label it "TestTheme Mods" Basically, I am making it its own theme. I then enable it higher in the winterboard list and when I enable it it overwrites the other theme on only the files I changed. When "TestTheme" is updated it does not change anything in "TestTheme Mods"

6. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Sorry to be so dense here but when you create that other folder and copy the icons in there do you then have to go back and hunt down each sub folder to put them into?

7. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

You could also use the summerboard method. Just make a folder named "Icons" and place in your theme folder. Then all you need to do is name the icon that you want to change the same as it says on your springboard. So I'll use Settings as a example... Just pick your new Settings icon and place into your Icon folder and name your new icon Settings.png and Settings@2x.png. Then click on Summerboard in Winterboard and respring.

8. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

Yes.

9. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

This is not always the case, depending on the developer and how he codes. Sounds like Jaku is using a theme and overwriting icon file names within the different app folders. Every time he sends out an update it will overwrite the app icon image currently stored there. Usig Winterboard to try and overwrite each app icon is not the best method.

10. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

How would you handle?

11. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Go into each application and find the icon image. Alter it there and then add another file of the icon, but add an 'a' or '1' to the filename and leave it there. This way, if the icon ever gets overwritten by a theme, you can simply go back and reinsert the image again.

If you can avoid using winterboard, do!