Do Verizon customers get charged to text AT&T customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cecoleman, Nov 30, 2009.

1. cecoleman macrumors regular

I switched from Verizon to AT&T last week by getting an iPhone now a friend of mine still on Verizon tells me not to text them anymore because they get charged to send/receive texts from other networks. Is this true? Someone confirmed for me already that we as AT&T customers (iPhone) users do not get charged to text Verizon customers, but is the same true in reverse? They have an unlimited text plan on Verizon I think.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You get charged to send and receive texts and afaik your buddy gets charged even if he only texts verizon customers.

3. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I know I get charged as part of the text plan. I'm talking about additional charges per text. I have a plan for texting and so does my Verizon friend. But my friend is claiming an extra charge to their account per text. Its as if the text to another network is considered long distance or something. Get it?

4. Tu13es macrumors regular

I don't think VZW has any "Verizon-only" texting plans. They're usually a set number of messages with a fee for going over that number. Some VZW plans have "Unlimited M2M" meaning free texting within Verizon, but that's on top of a 500, 1500, or 5000 message bundle, which are used for out-of-network messages.

5. Tu13es macrumors regular

Yeah, that's not true unless they have some weird old grandfathered plan or something. With the current plans, the only way you get charged for messages is if you go over your allotment of messages.