Do watchOS 1 apps magically become native in watchOS 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Menopause, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

Question to devs and testers that have tried it: can I expect all existing watch OS 1 (App Store) apps to automatically start storing the app logic on the Apple Watch when installed in watch OS 2? Or do developers need to explicitly update their apps for them to become native apps?

Thanks!

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

No. Developers need to explicitly change the architecture of their app to work natively on WatchOS 2.0.

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Are there any apps that are already native that we could try out via the GM of Watch OS2?

4. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

You could try Pcalc, it's now native to watchOS2. I'm not sure what other apps are native yet...

5. bamf-hacker macrumors newbie

There are a few native apps available. Try WaterMinder. I am using that and it is working great.

the Weather Channel app I think is also native. It has a complication at least :)

6. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Will stock apps be native right away? Like remote for Apple TV etc

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I think most of the stock apps have always been native.

8. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

That seems to be true as messages work without the iPhone. But i couldn't control my Apple TV while iPhone was updating because it needed the iPhone so that app is definitely not native

9. dilap macrumors 6502a

10. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

It's as native as any of the 3rd party apps will be. The code and interface are stored on the Watch, but heavy processing is still not allowed on the Watch—developers are still pretty limited in what they can do locally without outsourcing processing duties to the iPhone.

11. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Does anyone see a significance difference in the speed of which glances are loaded onto the Watch screen? I really want to use them more but I find it troubling having to wait so long for them to load..