Do we expect a new design with the Retina iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacRazySwe, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

As the title says - Do we expect the new Retina iMac to bring a new external design for the iMac-line?

Other than removing the SuperDrive and making the iMac a bit thinner back in 2012, it has looked basically the same for 5 years now. The iMac is an iconic design, and I love mine - but I can't help but wondering what Jony Ive and his team could do in terms of improvement. Sure, the iPhone has progressed a bit since the 3GS of 2009.

Is a redesign perhaps needed in order to accommodate a retina display? Or would it be plug and play, making it possible for Apple to use the current casing?

Thanks! :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

"We" do not because I do not. I think at best you'll see a slight increase in thickness.

3. fisha, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

fisha macrumors regular

I think there would be a slight redesign, just to differentiate it as being retina.

That being said, I can't help but think that with clever design you could get rid of the iMac line and replace it with a Thunderbolt display that has a stand that can integrate a mac-mini/iMac replacement CPU/GPU box.

For example, you could make a Mini-MacPro cylinder that integrates into a space in the stand such when combined with a retina thunderbolt display, you effectively have an iMac (cause lets be honest, you can't see the back of the display when you're looking at it), and you could sell the mini-cylinder as a mac mini replacement in its own right.

Obviously, it would be down specced from a MacPro in some regards, but in the long run, it could drive more shipments. There is probably a lot of people who hang onto an iMac for long periods cause the integrated display cost makes an upgrade too expensive to jump to the latest and greatest frequently. Making the CPU unit separate mean allows for more frequent upgrading whilst keeping the same screen.

4. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I don't expect a redesign, but would like to see one that enabled height adjustment for better ergonomics. Unfortunately that has not been possible since the fantastic iMac G4.

5. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

"it's been way too long" is the tagline for the oct. 16th event.

one could certainly argue that it points to a major iMac redesign (nothing else rumored would really make sense, except maybe the mac mini but its kind hard to believe they'd dedicate the whole event to the minis).

well know next week!

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I think the idea of an integrated stand/monitor is a great one.

Then we get a new Mac mini, similar to the current one in size but with a range of powers from the lowest existing iMac up to a bit more grunty than the top iMac, and a TB display that it can slot into, or you can use the TB display with a Mac Pro instead. Simplifies the product lineup and still offers everything that is currently available from the bottom-end Mac mini alone to the high-end stuff.

But what I'd really like most next week is a bigger screen than 27". If they're going to 5k then surely they could do that with a 32" screen, smaller bezel than the current iMac and it wouldn't be a lot different in size.

7. mrmarts, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

mrmarts macrumors 65816

I really hope that Apple doesn't change the design introduced in 2012, however when they changed the design of 2012 model there was not much difference in comparison to the 2010 model except for a new speaker grill, thinner body and the absence of the top cooling vent slot.

I assume if there are any changes the form factor will remain the same with that famous chin, on the exception it may get thicker on the sides as hinted by various members on this forum. That said I am still happy with the design of my 2013 iMac and do not expect to change it anytime soon just for a retina panel that may cost an arm and a leg, with little to no content that runs on that resolution.

8. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Since the 2012 release of the iMac, the SSD HD option will finally go from 768GB to 1 TB SSD Drive.. which will be what I will be getting.. should have bought my last one with SSD and I didn't and regretted it ever since. Regarding physical re-design. . . I think they will keep it close to the same maybe slightly thicker but the retina screen will be the big plus. 5120x2880 will be great.

9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

You can allready get the imac with 1tb flash. But, no point buying that now when we are so close to an possible update of course. :)

10. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Doubt it will change much. They could do something interesting with the I.O. and give us USB 3.1 (too early?) or double the USB bus controllers from 2 to 4?
    TB2 Yes
    Closed Ram? Please No
    Black Case? Hell Yes, everybody would want one unless it's glossy - Matte F'n Black!

Gold? Please don't - the i stuff is tacky enough ;)

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I hope it stays exactly the same, it needs by no means to be thinner, and the design is still awesome. If I can get me a 5k retina with a custom built AMD card which is pushing through that 5k without loosing overall graphic speed and the general gpu speed will still be equivalent to a 980m or so with 8gb of vram. 64gb of memory, i7 preferably 6 core 4+ ghz per core and thunderbolt 2 and usb 3 (hopefully a couple extra slots too, then I finally will be looking at my dream machine :) no matter what cost. I wouldnt mind 32" but I dont think that will happen, though it would give apple the space to add a faster machine...but all the other things I think is possible (except extra tb and usb slots though ;) )

12. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

TB3 would be would be even better, but the standard is probably too new to be included.

I would love to see a return to a 16:10 screen (which they haven't had on an iMac since the 24" models) like the rMBP. It is much better for viewing vertical content such as web pages and code editors. Apple used to do a 30" 2560x1600 16:10 monitor. A retina version of that size and ratio would be brilliant.

13. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I wonder then if they could come up with a 2TB SSD drive? Too much to ask? (wishful thinking)

14. Serban Suspended

i think they can, like in case of the retina macbook pro, to reduce the bezels and thats it

15. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I think it's too much to ask. If you check, 1tb cost twice as much as 512. Just imagine what they would charge for a 2tb. One can hope though that they increase the 1tb to 1.5 for the same price :)

16. Serban Suspended

i just hope besides retina display, to put thunderbolt 2 ports, standard SSD and standard 16 gb RAM

17. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

If they went with a 1.5TB SSD I would buy it in a second. Anything over the size of 1TB for a SSD is a Big Plus. I knew it would be wishful thinking to think they could ever go to 2 TB SSD perhaps in the distance future... but for now.. anything over 1 TB SSD HD would make me happy.:cool:

18. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I think this sounds right. And the increase in thickness would be due to a dual-gpu, otherwise it would just stay the same with a different screen.

19. koulmj macrumors 6502

koulmj

I just bought an iMac and sold my MacBook, if they come with a dual GPU model I'm gonna be so upset that I purchased early.
    :mad:

but I would like to see something other than the Iris in the base models, i think Apple could have better adapter options, even though i like the slim system stuff It would be worth it for me.

20. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I doubt it'll change too much, considering how much of a problem it was to get the friction stir welding and laminated-to-glass display going on the production line. Can you guys remember the shipping delay after those 2012 iMacs were introduced? It was epic.