Do we have any reason to believe...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boe11, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

...that there will be a macbook pro redesign this year?

We've seen a couple rumors about a 15" MBA, but nothing about the 17" or specific to the MBP line. Have we any concrete reason to believe that the pro line will receive a redesigned chassis aside from the "it's gotta be sooner or later" argument? Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment?

I'm not trying to be snarky or discouraging, I just remember last year, the majority of people were convinced that the MBP refresh was going to include a redesigned chassis. Remember that image floating around with the super thin, black, "liquid metal" design? Everyone was pretty much convinced that the redesign was coming, and we had a lot more evidence of it last year than we do this year.

So, is there any real reason to have faith in one this year, aside from the fact that we all want a redesign and another year has passed? This topic is intended to initiate discussion and hopefully compile evidence I've missed, and not be submitted as a staunch opinion. I would like a redesign as much as anyone.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

There will only be "concrete" reason to believe there will be a redesign unfortunately will only be when an announcement by Apple is made. Otherwise it's just pure speculation

3. Boe11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. I'm wondering if the speculation is based on anything more than wishful thinking.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

A lot of rumors originate from digitimes.com. They do not have secret apple information, but they claim that they have inside information on a number of hardware manufacturers in china that produce parts for Apple. Among the things they claimed in the past few months are:

- Apple will revamp it's full computer line
    - Apple is working on a thinner 15'' Macbook (either Air or Pro, that's unclear)
    - retina displays
    - and most recently, something about a 14'' Macbook for the asian market

The thing is that even if their information is true, it does not imply that any of the stuff that Apple is ordering will make it into the final product. They might order stuff for testing purposes and prototypes, and they might even place fake orders to put the competition on the wrong track.

As you already mentioned above, last year there were a lot of expectations and hints and rumors of a redesign, and there was none. The same could happen this year! As long as they get new faster CPUs I won't be disappointed.