Do we have offline maps in iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by classicbs, Sep 21, 2012.

1. classicbs macrumors newbie

Do we have offline maps in iOS6?, If not why not I thought this was touted as a new feature?

2. maricc macrumors regular

I'm not sure what you mean by that? The maps are loaded on the spot so if you're asking if you can use it without internet connection, no you cannot.

3. 840quadra, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes,

iOS always has in some capacity. If you load directions in maps while you have wifi, page through the directions start to finish. It loads the pages into memory and caches them.

I used my wifi only iPad in iOS6 to simulate a trip to Chicago, shut wifi off, opened quite a few other apps (using memory and such for other things), and was able to return to maps ( with wifi still off ) and still run through all the pages to get me to my Chicago destination.

Test on your device to make sure, however this trick has worked for me since my iPod touch 1st generation. The nice thing with ios6 maps, it appears to load more of the surrounding area into memory than previously.

::edit::

Though I don't know what capacity you are looking for in your offline maps.

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You're misinformed. See the post after you. But you can not cache the map manually and randomly. Not for now anyway.

5. GeekDeja macrumors newbie

Hopefully new google maps app wil support offline data, maintime try apps like navfree or galileo.

6. classicbs thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought Google had said there will be no new google maps app until apple asks for one which I understand they are unlikely to do?

7. 0000757 macrumors 68040

no, they just said an individual map app is still far off for now