Do we know if face scanning is always active?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Sep 23, 2017.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

No, I’m not worried about being spied on or anything. More about wasted battery and processor. Some of the speculated features of the X make it sound like it is always scanning and analyzing your face, and I can see that actually hurting performance and battery life compared to the 8 and 8 plus.

2. G.bav macrumors newbie

Raise to wake

3. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

From the hands-on videos, FaceID scanning is triggered by either tapping the screen or raise-to-wake. So no, it's not always scanning.

4. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Couldn't you make the argument touch ID is always "scanning" and draining your battery? I bet the technology in the touch ID camera uses more battery.

5. Newbie67 macrumors regular

Newbie67

I wonder.. do you all think the face ID will work when the X is sideways? Hmmm

6. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Sorry, I may not have been clear. I mean to ask if it's always scanning when the phone is awake. I don't expect it to literally always be scanning, ie. while asleep. TouchID is definitely not always scanning. Why would it? But I'm thinking about reported (though not confirmed) features like the X being able to tell if you're looking when a notification comes through, or stop video playback if you're not paying attention. Some have even suggested that the phone my lock automatically if it goes too long without recognizing your face. And of course, emojis that imitate your expression. It would have to always be scanning your face to do these things. No way that's not resource draining if it's true.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

8. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Very funny. That might help if I was worried about privacy. :p

9. PeLaNo macrumors regular

PeLaNo

I think they occasionally scan for your face when phone is awake for some features, so if it can recognize your face it’ll maybe lock.

10. Nozuka macrumors 68020

it doesnt turn off the screen as long as it sees you looking at the screen, which is a new feature. so it must at least be rescanning regularly