Do we know where Apple mounts the SSD if it's the only drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wirelessness, Aug 4, 2010.

1. wirelessness macrumors 6502

I am wondering if the use the standard HDD bay or the smaller space reserved for the SSD as a second drive option w/ mounting hardware?

I would be very disappointed if I ordered an SSD only option and went to add a HDD or second SSD only to find they did not use the dedicated SSD bay and mounting hardware.....

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Why would they go to the trouble of adding the second bay if there is only one hard drive in the computer? :confused:

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...call apple and see if they can figure it out?

My guess would be they'd put it in the original HDD space so they wouldn't have to pay for any additional parts...

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Don't they use 3.5" drives for the HDD? So they'd need to use a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket if it's in the default drive location.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Common sense can easily answer this question for you. No need to call Apple.

/thread

8. wirelessness thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, your common sense answer is fairly obviously flawed. In EITHER case Apple would have to use additional hardware. A hardware bracket is required to mount the SSD drive in the dedicated SSD location. A 3.5" to 2.5" mounting adapter would be required for it to be mounted in the standard HDD location. So it's up in the air as to where they would mount it in my view. I think the dedicated SSD location is the most likely candidate.

9. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

The SSD is mounted in a seperate palce to the mechanical drive.

There are some tear down photos that show this, however if you order a iMac without the SSD the required cabling and mountings are NOT in the mac, so you could not add one at a later date without bodging it.

http://blog.macsales.com/6332-27”-mid-2010-imac-disassembled

Kimbie

10. wirelessness thread starter macrumors 6502

@Kimbie,

I think you missed the point of the thread. We know there is a dedicated place for the SSD requiring a bracket and cable. We know you get the SSD there if the iMac is ordered with two drives. The question is where do they put the SSD if you only order one drive....that drive being the SSD? In theory Apple could mount it in one of two places.