Do we need 17 sticky threads in the iPhone forum?

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2011
The sticky threads continue to grow. Theres always a fair amount when a new iPhone gets released, but it has never been this many. There’s quite a few posts that could just be merged into other posts. The preorder threads with specific delivery dates just all just need to be in one post. There’s no reason for them to be a separate sticky. Kinda ridiculous how far you have to scroll just to see new posts.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It was started years ago, and it seems since the precedent was set, its an action that continues. I think its overkill and unnecessary, but that's just my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: bpeeps

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
What's even more baffling is that not a single one of them addresses the new features of the iPhone, same goes for iOS forums. When I come here looking for this info it simply doesn't exist anywhere in the top of the forum, so I end up just going to Google to find it.

IMO this is a huge miss for MR, I understand the front page is likely the place for these things but for the casual viewer simply looking to get the latest and greatest info the first thing they're going to do is jump in the the forum and look for it at the top, instead it's just a bunch of threads on orders, etc.

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Looks like they removed all of the shipping sticky threads. My thoughts were just to consolidate them into a couple of posts, but I'm not gonna complain about how clean the forum is now.

Reactions: maflynn

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
the whole "which iphone did you pre-order" is the dumbest childish thing i seen.
I don’t know though, because I was going to add to your list ‘which color iPhone did you choose’ amongst the umpteenth thread created every day on that topic. I mean, really, people don’t use a basic search, they just create threads assuming that nobody else would ask the *most* simplistic question about an iPhone color. Ridiculous, but it happens a lot when the iPhone launches.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
The sticky threads continue to grow. Theres always a fair amount when a new iPhone gets released, but it has never been this many. There’s quite a few posts that could just be merged into other posts. The preorder threads with specific delivery dates just all just need to be in one post. There’s no reason for them to be a separate sticky. Kinda ridiculous how far you have to scroll just to see new posts.
More to choose.

• Haha

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2011
More to choose.
No there isn't. We didn't need a sticky post for each delivery timeframe in October. October 6 - 11 delivery, Octoer 19 - 23 deliver, October 27 - 31 delivery is ridiculous. Sticky by carrier, international, and apple orders like they've done in the past and that's all that is needed.

Reactions: yanki01

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It‘d be ok if the forum remembered that you collapsed the Sticky threads upon returning to that section, but it doesn’t, which is another annoyance.

This ‘forgetfulness’ is also a problem on the main Forums page, where minimised forum section categories are expanded whenever returning to the page.

I’m mainly on the iPad, so this may be to do with Safari reloading completely, but the forum should still remember what you’ve collapsed, as it does with your postings (drafts) in case the browser crashes/reloads.

Edit...
Looks like many forums have been cleaned up. 👍

Last edited: