Do we need to raise up the laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by novetan, Sep 4, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I'm keen on purchasing the 17" Macbookpro (a switch from Window). But the salesman told me don't ever rest the Macbook on your lap, its very hot. So that gives me the impression there is tremedous built up heat. Unlike Window laptop, the bottom gap for Mac is so much smaller.

Is it neccessary to raise up the laptop or just let it be. Do anybody encounter any heating problem if we don't raise it up because I don't like to stick on additional rubber studs. My normal usage per day is about 8 hrs continuous.

Thanks for advise

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The aluminum body acts as a heat sink so it's normal and good that it gets hot. Will you be using it on your lap for 8 hours? If so, then a cooling pad might be wise so it won't burn your legs but if it's just occasional, then there is no need. It's up to you and what you feel uncomfortable

3. Orbane macrumors member

All depends on the type of ventilation you're dealing with. If you've got it on a flat desk, the rubber studs already provided should raise it up enough to allow adequate cooling. If you're worried about heat, install smcFanControl to monitor your temps and change the fanspeed if needed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that because of the aluminum unibody, heat is distributed pretty evenly throughout the whole laptop for better cooling. I know it can be scary when you find that anywhere you touch on the laptop is warm, but this is actually the way it is designed!

4. inertiat macrumors member

Funny that, I'm going to order one later on today and I was wondering this myself. More to do with comfort and ergonomics for my wrists and neck than anything though.
    I saw this product on the Apple store:
    Rain Design iLap stand.
    If you want to raise it very hight you can use this stand, but you will have to buy a separate keyboard and mouse to use it:
    Rain Design mStand

I'm going to use mine for a couple of months first and then decide which one I need, seeing as they are both pretty expensive! Logitech also do a laptop stand which is cheaper than both of those. Hope that helps

5. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I won't be resting on my lap, just that the salesman warn me. I noticed the rubber stud is actually very thin, making the base just raised up ever so slightly. I don't intend to have any cooling fan or what's not that make it unsightly. So you think resting as per design with the tiny rubber stud on flat top for 8 hrs daily not a problem?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's designed to work. Don't worry about the heat, the salesman wasn't very professional if he scared you with heat issues. All computers heat up when under load

7. fatfreddy macrumors newbie

They only normally get really hot when you're using some heavy apps i.e logic, photoshop etc. However if you're web browsing, if you leave tabs open with flash on, that can really drain you battery and also make it hot. So I really recommend getting BashFlash. It's a really small app that doesn't take up much room, but it's seriously useful and easy to use. It basically just kills any flash playing on safari (or firefox).

Here's a link: http://www.bashflash.com/

8. silexh macrumors member

silexh

Not to worry...

Well, if you go play games or encode audio/video while resting it on you lap you might experience some heat issues. Other than that, it might get warm, but never really hot.
    The fans generally adjust fine to produced heat.
    It works fine however you want to use it ;) so don't worry.

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Locations of vents is frequently overlooked when choosing a laptop. Loads of brands/models have vents underneath the laptop (no need to explain consequences). Some on the right which burns your hand if your right-handed and using an external mouse. Its great if you're a user in a cold environment but its not for me. So if you're choosing a laptop, do consider the mentioned. Practicality should come before looks.

Personally I think the MBP probably has the best heat dispersion and vent locations for any laptops on the market.