Do we need TRIM option on MacBook Pro Retina 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vigorito, Mar 4, 2013.

1. vigorito macrumors regular

I was using intel ssd 2.5 around a year on pc lap top now i have rmbp ,intel has ssd tool box what about msata ssd in rmbp.

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Apple supports TRIM on the drives they use natively. This means no tools or anything like that.

The tools for drives are more useful on older drives that don't actually support TRIM, or older OSes that don't support TRIM (like Windows Vista).

3. MacKid macrumors 6502

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

5. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Trim is enabled default in mac osx system? Does anyone know what brand of ssd is installed in rmbp 13"?

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

there are 3 options, samsung 830, toshiba sandforce SF 2281 or the new sandisk using the marvel controller of the crucial m4

all of the SSDs that are from apple, come with trim enabled, all 3rd party SSD have to have trim enabled by 3rd party apps

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Samsung or Toshiba.

8. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i want buy one msata to have it in reserve if something goes wrong with the one inside,what you think about mushkin atlas series msata ssd?

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The SSD inside the retina Macbook Pros are not standard msata SSDs. The only third party who currently makes compatible drives is OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Retina_2012

The other option would be to look on ebay etc. for an Apple OEM drive for the retina MBP.

10. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

I almost bought mushkin,theres nothing on ebay or amazon nobody sell ssd for retina macbook pro,but if toshiba,crucial or samsung made that for apple laptops its gotta be possible to buy that im confused maybe direct from them?

11. robvas macrumors 68020

They don't sell them unless you are Apple.

I found a used one from a 15" rMBP to upgrade mine with.

12. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

So hows the owc brand is? Honestly i never heard for them before? Apple doesent sell in the stores?

13. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

owc is the premier mac accessory vendor for quite a while, problem here is that you can try to buy the real SSD for the rmbp from the ifixit or ebay

14. raw8725 macrumors regular

I've just switched from a macbook pro 13 inch to a retina macbook pro 13 inch and I find the performance a bit choppy. Scrolling just isn't smooth for me no more. My previous macbook pro 13 inch supported a nice Intel SSD with TRIM activated though tests showed it had a shower write speed than this one.

Is anyone also having issues of slack performance?

15. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i searched and ifixit doesent have ssd also on ebay are selling only 2 ssd flash storage for 15" retina mbp btw 300-500 which is crazy, probably the best deal is owc 269dol for 256gb which i dont need 120gb is enought for me but they dont sell

----------

I would like to check also which ssd is in my rmbp 13 i dont know how

16. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I have a MBPr 13 and I have no troubles like you describe. The performance is excellent.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It isn't a standard SSD format. It's Apple's own connector and form factor. You can't buy them directly from the manufacturer, they make them just for Apple.

Apple doesn't sell them in stores because they don't consider it a user replaceable part.

Do you really need a spare one that badly? I would just keep a good backup on an external drive using Time Machine. If the SSD goes bad (very unlikely, but possible) then Apple should replace it for you if you're within the warranty period.

The money would probably be better spent buying the extended AppleCare warranty if you don't already have it.

18. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure what you mean with time mashine? The reason for that is that im leaving usa and i will no longer be here in europe where i live there is no legal apple support so thats why