Do we really have to pay more for fast charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyedoc2020, Sep 14, 2017.

1. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

If this is true, just another price gouging way to tick off consumers. All other phones that have this allow it right out of the box with no extra purchases...

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

There were people who said they better include the wireless ear buds with the X and that did not happen either.

I doubt I will use wireless charging, but if you want to, you will have to pay.

3. eyedoc2020 thread starter macrumors regular

This isn't referring to wireless charging. This is referring to fast charging...

4. flehman macrumors 6502

flehman

Do we know if any current 3rd party devices would fast-charge an iPhone 8 or X? I'm thinking of the Anker bricks that have Power IQ, Qualcomm fast-charging, etc....or is the fast-charging in the 8/X an Apple-proprietary implementation and that's why you would need to buy an Apple charger? Maybe we won't know for sure until some people get their new phones and stage some charging drag races.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Ooops, sorry.

I always charge while sleeping so the speed is not important to me.

6. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Ipadlover29

Makes no sense that the new iPhones come with the 5 watt charger. They could have at least thrown in the iPad 12 watt charger.

7. eyedoc2020, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

eyedoc2020 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree wholeheartedly. Apple trying to squeeze absolutely every possible dime out of us on things that come standard from other manufacturers.

8. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Yep. You gotta pay to play.

I understand this concept so I'll be buying a 29W adapter when I get the phone. No biggie. I'll pay for the extra functionality.

9. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I wonder if some of the power banks out right now that have USB C PD so they can charge a MacBook at 29w would do the fastcharge on the iPhone 8 if using a USB c to lightning cable?

Like this:

USB C Power Bank RAVPower 26800 PD Portable Charger 26800mAh(Faster Recharged in 4.5 Hours &USB-C Input, 30W Type-C Output)for Nintendo Switch, USB Type-C Laptops, 2016 MacBook Power Delivery Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WGNUzb3ZE3G2Y

10. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

im sure we will see a pile of adapters and battery packs on amazon that will support the fast charge. You don't have to buy from apple. Just give it time.

11. eyedoc2020 thread starter macrumors regular

Shouldn't have to buy for anyone. Should be supplied with the phone.

So now we may need to buy a wireless charging mat AND a block for fast charging. GTFO Apple.

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I fast charge with my iPad charger, **** paying for another add on.

13. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I fast charge my iP7 by plugging the included cable into a USB C adapter & then plugging that into my 2016 MBP. It may not technically be "fast charging" but that SOB is charged up a lot faster than any other power brick that Apple supplied.

14. Patrick3949 Suspended

Better wait more than pay more for fast charging :)

15. Dmal99 macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is a troll or whatever, but just to clear it up. the fast charging comes like the same on old iphones - if you buy the higher watt wired setup.

What they mean by pay more is that you'll have to buy a Qi charing pad because word is it wont ship with one. They are like 10- bucks on Amazon for a good rated one. Big whoop. Plus its said they don't have fast wireless charging, 50% charge in 30 mins is as fast as it goes, which isn't bad at all.

At least these are the facts that seem to be available with a quick search.