Do We Really Need Extra RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modit, Mar 4, 2011.

1. modit macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of buying an extra 4GB of RAM for my Mac as well as a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive.

As a student, my uses include websurfing, watching and downloading HD video, Word and Keynote presentations, and similar tasks.

Should I just stick with my current setup (see below)? Maybe I should take up gaming and photo editing :D

Thanks!

:)

BTW...do these add-ons help resale value and can I use them in future MacBook models?

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

You seem to have already answered your own question by admitting that your tasks aren't very intensive. I doubt you'll ever take advantage of the RAM.

3. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah...let's say I have some inclination. Maybe you can weigh into the resale part of my question?

Also, what's the going price for 500GB 7200RPM in the states? Does it help with HD videos?

:cool:

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I do pretty large audio projects and a lot of samplers that load their libraries into RAM. I frequently run over the 4GB mark but not by a lot. But because I do, I need the 8GB of RAM. you'll be fine with 4GB. Don't worry about it.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

It will be great for multitasking like if you want to play crisis while rendering a video.

6. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you as well!

7. Primetime89 macrumors member

lol