Do we really need the palmrest guard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tecnic08, Mar 4, 2011.

1. tecnic08 macrumors newbie

Do we really need the palmrest guard?

Comment Please :)

2. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think that if you wear any jewellery or a watch (especially if your male and wear a metal strap watch!) then it's a good investment.
    I have the moshi palm rest an while expensive it doesn't look to bad, an it's actually quite tacktile.

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i do not wear a watch but was curious as i couldnt find one are there any decent leather palm guards that stick on and wont interfere with closing it?

4. mtip macrumors member

I wear a watch (with metal strap) AND a bracelet (also metal) all the time, never had a guard on any part of my MBP and there's not a single scratch on the thing. Maybe I'm holding it wrong? :)

But really it depends on how you use your MBP and how much you care about keeping it pristine. I personally like how the naked aluminum looks and feels and would never put any cases, covers of guards on mine. It's a tool after all, not some antique item you need to keep on cushions under glass, and if it gets scratched up a bit somewhere along the line, so be it. It will still work perfectly fine.

5. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

if you have sweaty hands i suggest that you do. i have sweaty hands everytime i touch my macbook (70% of the time and i have no idea why)

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

This is my experience.
    I wear jewelery and have a naked MBP with no marks at all.

7. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Do we really need it?

I would say "No," as clearly many people use their Macbook Pros without one.

I bought one and put it on partially because I've seen where the anodizing has worn off or pitted for some people. But mostly because I just don't like the feel of metal (but was "forced" to go MBP as features that used to be on the plastic Macs were taken away, such as Firewire, external battery monitor, and infrared port).

I have the Moshi Palm Guard. It seems to be high quality and durable, but I just put it on yesterday, so that's only an impression. It has a slightly rough (but not unpleasant) texture. From all reports it will come right off without leaving any residue. It is fairly "thick" (for a sticker), so I'm sure it must affect the lid in some small way, but it is not really detectable to me. Since you asked about this, have you heard, read, or experienced any lid problems due to one of these :confused:

I also put a clear skin on the outside of the computer, and it came with a thin(ner), clear, shiny palm rest and trackpad cover, so if I don't end up liking the Moshi I'll try that.

Miss Terri

8. elhungarian macrumors regular

I like the fact that using a "skin" will keep my MBP new looking and hopefully keep its value up as best it can.

Seems like there are 2 common materials to choose from.

The one i chose because of its more matte finish is Wrapsol

The other popular choice is Invisishield. But it has more of a shiny look to it. I personally didnt want my matte aluminum to look shiny.

my $0.02

9. tecnic08, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

tecnic08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if I buy the wrapsol it will also give me the palmrest guard right?

10. richlee111 macrumors regular

I highly recommend the Moshi Palmguard as well. I previously had it on my 13" Macbook for 3 years, and I can tell you that after I peeled it off a month ago before selling the machine, the whole palm rest area looked just like new:) It definitely helped w/ resale and looks.

As for the looks of the Moshi, it is really non-discreet, as it is a silver color that matches very well with the aluminum body. Also, it is sightly textured to kind of give you a more assured feel when your wrist is resting on it vs. naked aluminum. Lastly, it comes w/ a trackpad guard as well.

If anyone is interested, you can usually pick it up on Amazon for around $22.
    Here's the description on Moshi's site:

http://www.moshimonde.com/products2.asp?UPLF1=8&PDLS1=21

11. jenlevin macrumors regular

12. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you mean discreet, as in not being too obvious, and I would agree with you. There is a small "moshi" in the lower right hand corner that I could have lived without, but it's not bad.

It's really good to hear that you peeled yours off three years later and found everything looking like new. Thanks!

Miss Terri

13. richlee111 macrumors regular

Yes, i meant "discreet." Trying to sneak in this post while working:)

14. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Yes, you definitely need the palm rest guard. I have seen too many posts from people who have experienced "pitting" of the aluminum due to sweat from the palms. Personally, I like the palm rest from Power Support. It is a faux suede like material and I can use a mouse on it. It can be lifted off and re-applied over and over again, if you can't align it correctly the first time, but it is very easy to apply. Of course, it will stain, but I used it with my 13" for the past 2 years without getting it dirty. It also includes a clear track-pad cover that is invisible and you don't have to use water to apply either one.:)

15. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

It's an accessory. I think it'll be beneficial...doesn't leave dark/grease marks after a long time. plus, by having it, its one less thing you'll have to worry about.

17. shelhed217 macrumors member

I applied a moshi on my last MBP and it protected against stray pen marks while i was working- and it looks great! I highly recommend it

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I bought the Moshi Palmguard because I experienced some pitting on my 1st gen iPhone and I didn't want to risk it happening on my MBP. I've had it on my MBP for well over a year, and it still looks brand new. It does not interfere with the closed lid at all.....it's just the right width.

19. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Ah ha ha, understood. It's not quite the same when you are rushed or have a tiny little slit to type in at the bottom of your work monitor.

Good to hear. I mean there is *some* thickness but not much. Less than a credit card by a good bit, I would say. I agree that it is cut super precisely. In fact, you don't have much leeway when installing it as it is JUST a perfect fit.

I have not looked at the leather palm rest guards linked here, but I did look at a couple (online) when I was shopping around, and one thing I noticed is that since they were thicker, they were purposely cut in a ways from the edge of the palm rest, to let the little rubber gasket/piece on the lid close properly onto the palm rest. But... then they don't cover up the outer front top edge (whew) of the palm rest, which is what I wanted to cover most, as when I'm web surfing (not typing much) that's where I rest my hand. Even the Moshi does not wrap around the edge onto the front (which would be really protective), but since it comes right out to the edge it does seem as though it will keep it pretty well protected.

20. nwbusa macrumors regular

No.

1 1/2 years and there is not a mark on my palmrests. I'm reasonably careful with my computer but don't obsess over it.

21. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

When I do end up getting a MBP I will be getting one from day 1.

It's because the MBP is made from aluminum which causes alzheimer's, whether it's by touch or food cooked in it. I want to be able to keep my memory for as long as possible :)