Do we still need all this storage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Defender2010, May 20, 2011.

1. Defender2010, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

With all the icloud chat going on recently, I was thinking about selling my iPad 2+3G 64GB and getting a 16GB version. I also have an iPhone 4 16GB and unlimited data to use when out and about....has anyone else thought of selling too? Yesterday there were rumours of partially syncing music to idevices so whenever no signal is available you can still listen to music...
    I dont store movies on my idevices so thats not an issue. Wise to sell and make some cash by then buying a cheaper one? Or foolish to loose the storage space...I guess in a few weeks we may have a better idea. Thoughts?

2. Small White Car, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I use my iPad to download 16 GB chips full of RAW photos and videos from my camera when I travel. It can quickly add up to 40 GB during a week.

I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but if you're looking for different expereinces then that's mine. I could never go smaller than a 64 GB iPad.

But you would need a specific reason like that to need so much space, I think. I advise friends to only look at the smaller 2 iPad models when they're buying. Sounds like you're in the same boat since you didn't mention anything like that.

[EDIT] Spelling

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Exactly. It depends on your needs.

I own the 16GB iPad 2, and I have absolutely no reason for anything larger. I don't have any movies on it, and only a few gigs of music. My iP4 covers my music needs.

I use my iPad for web browsing, games, photos, a few other apps, and TuneIn Radio. The 16GB is the sweet spot for me.

4. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

I have never needed much storage, theres a lot of people that put all their pictures and movies and music on everything (nothing necessarily wrong with that) but if I find I never listen to a certain song or never watch a certain movie, I delete it. Ive never really filled up more than 8 gigs.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

The "cloud" works well under a number of conditions and may well be a fine solution for a majority of individuals. I travel a lot and find myself on airplanes without Internet access. That may well change (and is changing) in the coming years, but it can be anywhere from a few hours to 10 or more hours without "cloud" access. Ditto travel outside the US; WiFi and 3G is inconsistent, so having reliable on-board storage is a huge plus.

Some people never take their iPads out of their homes or use them within a concise geographic area and under those circumstances a minimal amount of storage would likely be fine.

Oh, and I have >13GB of Apps stored locally and I foresee a future with increasingly dense iOS apps, so it's not as if you can do without any storage.

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Probably not in most advanced countries, unless you have specific activities like the photographer who posted above.
    However there are still many places in the world where Internet speed and reliability still doesn't allow it to be highly dependent to the cloud.

7. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Guess it depends.

I've got like 6GB of apps downloaded right now.. and many of the apps I've been buying have been nearly 1GB in size, and those are sure to increase as the power of the iPad does. So, I think for music and video, no you don't.

For more advanced apps, 16GB is cutting it close. Last gen I had 16gb and it was fine, this gen i went 32, happy i did.

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Each user will be different. I went from a 64gb first gen iPad to a 16gb iPad 2 and it's working just fine for me.

9. Scuby macrumors regular

The patents about partially syncing were just syncing the small snippets of every song, so you would have to have the cloud access all of the time to listen to them (unless you want to only hear 5 seconds of each song!)

I inka lot of people can get get on fine with just 16GB or 32GB, but I think the cloud is a red herring - if you have more than that much data that you want to be able to access, then for me we're a long way from being able to have reliable access to the cloud. Most mobile contracts still have limits on data transfer. Many places I go where I'd use my iPad (eg trains, planes, holidays abroad, etc) have intermittent or no internet access, or (as is the case of roaming abroad) the cost of data would make it crazy to even consider streaming media from the cloud. Yes, it would be fine at home, but anywhere else my I want my iPad to carry as much data as possible internally.

David

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

3G on an iPad can be a bit on the excessive side, especially with MyFi and tons of mobile hotspots.

However, I dare you to try and go without any type of internet connection for 5 days. If you go on a trip outside your country say. How much space do you think you will want to have on your iPad. I travel, and I can tell you that 32GB is a bare bones minimum. Over time, you will collect more and more apps, and your only solution will be to delete apps in favor of media, or vice verse. Compromises will have to be made.

IMO, the more storage you have the better, as it's better to have more, than less when it comes to electronics.

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

right on. it so definitely depends on the use level. i found 32 was too little...that i was swapping off and on items that i wanted at any time.

i have a 64 now and am liking that.

there are now external wifi connected drive options you can get for more space if needed.

12. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Are you talking about the Air Stash? Or are there other options available? I am one who thinks they need to store alot of movies, etc on mine and want more storage space.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I've never needed much storage, I would have bought the 16gb 3g version if I had a choice, but I ended up with a 64gb 3g and the majority of that space is unused. Music and movies I get bored very easily and much prefer station programs like pocket tunes where I can pick the genre and it just plays whatever song. The only thing I'd say that might be an issue is games, but the purported leap in game graphics and the corresponding larger sized games hasn't really come about if it ever will, so not sure how much of an issue that would be. A microSD slot would solve the dilemma, but no such luck with that either.

14. Razeus macrumors 603

I have tons of content (250gb's of music, 200gb's of movies/tv shows, 100gb's of photos, 500 Books, but I use my Kindle for most those, but use the iPad for technical/how to books such as Photography), but I only use a 16GB wi-fi. That's all I need to carry on me at one time. I have allocation tables reserved for each media type and reserve 6gb's just for Apps (damn games). I can sync media on/off as needed.

15. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I've decided to sell my 64GB and get a 16GB. The more I think about it, it's rare that I play music on or from my iPad to anything. I usually AirPlay through iTunes and iPhone when out and about. Imagine sitting on the tube with earphones stuck in an iPad! Comical! In think 16GB is enough for apps, iBooks and magazines and a few files. Currently use 10GB for apps, but tons of stuff I could delete.
    Off to Gumtree....hahaha...
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    Hopefully the iCloud will reveal all soon...I think Apple will do what Google showed us at their recent event...a complete online profile containing all your digital stuff in one, safe, easily accessible account from all devices (via apps) or mac/pc...through Safari. Only better and prettier.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't want to try playing Infinity Blade from the cloud.... :rolleyes:

As interesting as the cloud can be (just got my Google Music Beta invite through my Xoom), there is just no substitute for having it "right there". Not until you have much better 4g (or 5g) coverage everywhere.

18. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

Storage directly on the device is critical. I don't believe any type of cloud storage will ever beat tangible storage. Internet connection problems will always exist which can interfere with you getting access to your cloud storage.