Do we treat the battery in Windows laptops the way we treated the battery in the MBP?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by hajime, Oct 7, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 603

Hi, I remember that 10 years ago, for the good (long life?) of the battery, it was recommended to use a brand new MBP until it ran out of power. Then, plugged it in to the wall to charge. How about Windows laptops?

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I think that is all 10 years ago procedure. On my X1E I do make use of the battery threshold settings and have mine set to stop charging when the laptop hits 95% rather than charge fully to 100% and not to begin charging until the battery drops below 65%.

If you need to have long battery life every day, those settings will probably not work for you though. I am often OK grabbing my laptop with only a 70-95% charge, you may not be. But the threshold settings will prevent it from trying to constantly top off to 100% all the time.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks. Is there a problem of having the battery constantly charged at 100% all the time?

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Modern batteries are happiest in something like the 40-80% charge range. This is how hybrid batteries used in cars like the Prius can last for 10-15 years with very low failure rates and tens of thousands of charge cycles - they only use that range of the battery.

Deep discharge is far worse than topping off to 100% but neither are ideal. Try to avoid running any modern device to completely dead. I wouldn't worry too much about charging to 100% unless the device is essentially permanently plugged in.

5. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Rarely use the battery these days, so I use the OEM's app and set the battery to charge to a maximum of 60%. As for when new, just turned on the notebook and started setting it up, modern batteries manage themselves for the most part, so no need to overly think about them.

Q-6

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Even ten years ago it was a bad idea to run the battery all the way down. That was only something you did every few months if you thought the percentage indicator wasn't accurate. So, that you could calibrate the battery. Even then it wasn't simply run it down and charge. There was a procedure. You ran it down until it shut off. Leave it for several hours. Then let it charge overnight without interruption for an accurate calibration. You'd lose a tiny bit of capacity doing this but gain an accurate reading.

Even now it is not the best idea to let it sit on the charger all the time. Auto management has improved greatly but it isn't perfect. Take it off every once in a while and use 20% or 30% of the battery. If you aren't going to use something a long time. You run the battery down to about 60%. Then store it in a cool and dry place. If possible you remove the battery. Just to ensure there is no trickle of power or if it expands it doesn't destroy the device.