Do websites appear and look better on an Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeffh83, Dec 26, 2007.

1. jeffh83 macrumors newbie

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want to do this, at least do it with screenshots instead of [bad] photographs of the screen....

4. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Yes, but do they work better? I've come across enough weird Flash and Javascript issues, that I routinely have to open up Firefox or even dig out my Windows laptop to get a page to work properly. :(

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I roll with Firefox non-stop on OS X. Love my extensions, whether on Tiger or on XP.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

My guess is the glossy screen makes it look better. But it doesn't really look better to me at least.

7. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

His contrast is too high and it's oversaturated.

Your contrast is too low and is undersaturated.

Both look kinda crappy to me. ;)

8. splashtech macrumors regular

Both those photos are pretty bad, but I voted for the Mac because I prefer my own mac over my PC :) I like the font smoothing, apart from occasionally small bold text looks a little over-fat.

9. jeffh83 thread starter macrumors newbie

My camera is crappy.... But I think that in generally the Mac screen is much better (sharper, good colors).

p.s - prove my friend that he's wrong!!! :p

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

we are back to the same old discussion about whose font rendering is better.

to quote the same old anwser

11. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The font smoothing is much better on the Mac.
    If you calibrate both screens the colors should generate similar colors.

12. splashtech macrumors regular

I dont think there is an answer... it's more down to personal preference. And depends on factors such as the size, weight and decoration, and the particular font in use.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, that's why you don't take pictures with a camera. you capture the screen from the computer.

14. Roric macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but that statement was just too funny. If you don't take pictures with a camera, what do you do with a camera? :D

I agree with you though, to compare the quality take screenshots. Also, hook that external monitor up to the Mac and see what the quality looks like. It could be the monitor's fault.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i guess we can fairly sure about what the settings are when discussing this problems.

out of box, standard settings for both platform.

of course there will be individuals who change system font settings, but I think they can be excluded safely in this discussion. (since 99% of the users of windows/osx don't bother to change the font AA settings at all)

windows' font is, basically, more clear on screen
    [​IMG]

16. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Would a screen capture work in this situation? Because unless he's trying to compare fonts, it'd be pointless as the colors in the capture would display differently depending on your monitors color profile.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Exactly - the colours will be identical from a screenshot, fonts will show up better though for comparison. And it isn't down to Windows or OSX how well the colour is outputed, it is the display and calibration.

18. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Quite frankly, I can't even tell the difference. Even if there is one, it's probably negligible. The PC's screen is brighter, but I can't tell if that's just the quirks of the camera or not.

19. splashtech macrumors regular

Agreed. :) I meant the font(s) on the website(s) being compared. Especially if the font is a windows-only one and the mac doesn't have it for example.

20. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I ran across this somewhere else on the web. You can acutally see the difference between anti-aliasing and color profiles used in Safari compared to other browsers.

Open the attached image full size in safari and again in another browser and compare the two. The Safari picture looks better.

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      215.9 KB
      Views: