Do y'all think I'm being stupid? (Car/License related)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by d_and_n5000, Sep 7, 2009.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Today, I went to visit a friend at his house. A few days ago, he was driving and swerved to avoid a dog in the road about a mile from his house. He left the road and rolled onto the driver's side, then rolled right side up, into the woods along the side of the road. His left shoulderblade was broken, broke a few ribs and punctured a lung. Everybody that's seen him and the car have said that if he hadn't had the side airbags in his car, he would have been more seriously injured, and if the bulk of the damage had been two feet to the front of the car, he'd have been killed.

I'm getting my license in a few weeks and I'm going to be driving an '01 Oldsmobile Alero that doesn't have the side airbags. Right now, the prospect of driving at all is scaring the crap out of me. Considering also that a girl at my friend's school got killed last year in a side impact accident in a similar Pontiac Grand Am(which is essentially the same car as mine but with different sheetmetal), I'm thinking that I would like to trade her in for something around the same age, but that has a bit more heft and the side bags, such as a Honda Accord or something.

I've talked with my parents and the impression that I'm getting from them is that I'm just being emotional about it...but this really is freaking me out. I realize that the airbags aren't going to guarantee anything, and I definitely don't expect my parents to pay for it or anything, but its still something I'd like to do just for the peace of mind for me. I'd been thinking about saving to trade her in anyway, but I feel like this is more of a reason than just "I want something else."

Your thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think personal safety is something you could be emotional about and your parents shouldn't fault you for that at least.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

never serve to miss an animal that relatively small

best to hit it straight on than to potentially do what your friend did or go into a lane and hit people head on

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I mean, you're likely being emotional about it, but your emotion is correct in this case, side air bags are going to be safer.

I mean, if you're going to cover the difference(if there is any) and insurance is going to be similar in price, should you parents really care that much(I know they still might, but you are going to be safer)

I think you'd be fine in your car as is now, but you never know how(if ever) you'll get hit while driving. Most you can really do is drive safely. Other then that, its a bit random.

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Its definitely not stupid, its a legitimate concern, especially after what happened w/ your friend. Personally, I've never put much emphasis on side impact airbags. Not to sound dark, but in a really bad accident, an airbag won't really mean squat; basically, anything can happen. My main concern is what type of structural integrity the chassis will have in a collision. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety posts crash tests (frontal, offset, side impact, rear, etc...) on many types of cars; good place to start research www.iihs.org . good luck and be safe!

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

While you are right to be concerned about safety, I think you are probably just over reacting because of the two incidents. While car accidents are one of the leading causes of death among teens, you are still statistically unlikely to be involved in an accident where side airbags would come into play.

Also, look at things from your parents' point of view. Is the Oldsmobile paid for? Can they even afford another car? Given the current economic situation, even if they can afford another car, they may not want to spend money to buy one. The Accord didn't come with side airbags in standard in most trims during that time frame, which means you would either need to buy a newer model, or get an upper level model which will cost more.

Look at it this way: Yes, lots of teens die in car accidents every year. Millions more DON'T die. You can't live your whole life in fear.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While I understand while you are worried you are freaking out about nothing. Side airbag while great are also over rated. Yes if given the choice I would love to have them in my car but I am not selling my car and buying a new one for them.

Give you an idea how much they are over valued. My dad and my Uncle both has rolled a car in there lives. Both car were from a time before side airbags. Both walk away with out any thing more than minor scratches. Never even had to go a hospital. My brother as also rolled a car in his life. His car had side airbags and he walk away with 2 scratches as well. His roll over involved the car rolling over complerte 2 times. He started spinning out at 70 MPH so he went off the road we will say at a health 50mph when the roll started. The airbags are worthless for the 2nd roll because already deflated. walk away.

As for other wrecks I withness. where I lived in lubbock the street from my apartment was a really bad one. in the 3 months I live there I saw an average of 1 wreck a week. few of them pretty nasty 30-40 mph broad sides into the drivers door. Of all those wrecks I saw maybe one person taken to the hostipal and that one was not one of the broad sides.

Now if you get broad side at 70 mph well you are dead. Air bag are not going to save you.

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

In 2 years, when you have learned to drive well, you will think "I once was afraid to drive cars without side impact airbags."

You will then laugh at yourself, because the prospect of that fright existing will be humorous.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I'd say hit the dog/animal. No matter how furry, it isn't worth your health/life.

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Perhaps you should take a look at Euro NCAP for an idea of how safe various cars are. Side airbags in a car with a flimsy chassis won't help.

Not sure how much the site will help you, it only contains cars released in Europe, but worth a look.

http://www.euroncap.com/home.aspx

11. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Ok, I've pretty much realized I was being completely, totally neurotic last night.

Breakdown over.

And now for your regularly scheduled programming...

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm glad.

I hope this thread contributed in some way towards your realization.

13. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The fact that you are concerned about this shows that you are likely to be a safe driver. That's the most important thing for teens to realize is that they are not invincible. I have been driving for over 10 years now and i've never been in accident (knock on wood). I attribute this to taking a defensive driving course shortly after getting my license at 16 and being a very cautious driver, while be assertive when necessary. Side air bags might statistically improve your chances in a crash, it's better to not have an "accident" in the first place.

You can start by enrolling in a local defensive driving class. Some insurance companies will actually lower your premiums if you do this as well. And it's a fun way to learn to watch out for idiots on the road. (plus its a good way to meet girls/guys your age).

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Never swerve to miss hitting anything human included...most cars are safe enough that you can walk away from an accident.