Do you accept money orders when you sell online?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to sell some fairly pricey items on Craigslist, and I'm not sure whether I should accept money orders because I've heard they can be faked or forged. True?:confused:

If so, I may have to insist on Paypal or (if transacted in person) cash only.

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

They can be forged yes, but then again you can also get fraud via online forms of payment as well. I have always had good luck with either postal money orders or bank issued ones, but I've only taken maybe 6-10 of them over the last several years.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Postal Money Orders are fairly safe. The new ones have a silvery strip embedded. If done through the mail you can get them with Postal fraud if any money orders are fake.

In person, require drivers license. Or require cash.

4. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Postal money orders are safe to accept, but honestly since someone has to use cash to get one, they can just as easily give that cash to you. I've accepted Cashiers checks, Postal money orders, and PayPal for payments before, but won't allow personal checks. I allowed one person to write me a check for $50 since she didn't have enough cash on her, and the check bounced. I did eventually get the $50, but due to the worries I just say no to checks now. For a cashier's check I always wait a couple days for it to clear before releasing merchandise. I've only had those offered through eBay sells, though, and never Craigslist.

5. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I accept Postal Money Orders & money orders from National Banks (Chase, BOA, Wamu, ect...), since you can just go to the Post Office or Local Bank and cash the Money Order from them directly and get cash. I have received fake Postal Money orders and they have been instantly recognized by the Postal employee.