Do you actually use the side button (friends button)?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mightyjabba, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mightyjabba, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I was surprised when I heard that they had dedicated one of the device's two hardware buttons to bringing up a friends list, but I'm even more surprised after using the device for a while. I find that it's sometimes quicker to go into the messages/phone app and respond to existing messages or calls than to use the "shortcut" button. In any case, it's certainly not a huge time savings. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if the real reason they added the button was to promote the use of the digital touch functions. Unfortunately I have little interest in those and even if I were interested, I don't know anyone else with an Apple Watch. It would be great if we could assign something else to that button, but this being Apple I don't expect it.

(P.S. I have used the button to activate Apple Pay once, so I suppose that counts for something.)

2. Pastorbran macrumors newbie

Pastorbran

I don't find myself using it that much either. It would be nice to see Apple allow us to assign the function to the button through the iPhone app. I would use it more as a hot button for a most used app. Or allow me to set it for the most common exercise I do in the Workout app. That would make it more functional for me at least.

3. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Nope, just say tell so and so...
    Or call so and so...

Works faster.

I think Apple could have done away with this button, maybe triple hit the crown to pay, because that's all I use it for, just Apple pay and turning it on or off:D

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I use Siri more than that button that's for sure. Apple needs to repurpose it.

5. Leeabe macrumors member

I have used it, but I agree, don't really see the point if I am going to use Siri to dictate the message anyway. I think they are still learning how it should work and how people will use it. It feels like a first gen device.:)

6. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Or remove it and center the crown, I would like that much better.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Totally. I'd much rather use it as a watch face shortcut (single push to watch face, from anywhere) or Workout app shortcut, or whatever. Since Apple Pay is only a available in a single country at the moment, we should also be able to assign the double-press to something else, as well. Currently, it's absolutely worthless if you live anywhere other than the U.S. In other words, it's absolutely worthless for the vast majority of Apple's customers.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This is probably Jony Ive's inspiration since he's a fan of the designer at Braun.

[​IMG]

9. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I definitely do not use it for friends. I have used the side button more times for Apply Pay than I have friends list, ha!

10. abuskeletor macrumors regular

I'd like to have that button one press for passbook, two for :apple:pay.

11. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I use it since a couple of my co-workers also have Apple watches and it gives you access to the digital touch feature

12. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Agreed. i really hope in a future WatchOS version that they allow us to assign the button to something else.

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Can we all agree that the Digital Touch features are horrible?

Those ghost mime emoji hands are literally terrible. I am shocked that came from Apple.

14. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I haven't gotten my watch yet, but I can already tell you that I don't see any benefits to me using it. I think Apple should let us choose what we want that button to do (e.g. Show the time).

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I use it 0-1 times a day. I just go to the messaging app.

16. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Please let us change it. It should be a back button, or a click and hold to open glances or something more useful than 'my wife' 'my mom' and my 3 friends I contact frequently. (who 2 dont iphones so I use google voice to sms them anyway :p)

17. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

First of all, I don't have that many close friends that I contact on a regular basis to see the need to fill the spaces in the friends list. I also feel like asking Siri to call or message someone is so much quicker since you don't have to search for them in that Friends list wheel. And even if you do find them in the friends wheel, your only choice for text messaging is using dictation on the watch, which you would already be using if you used siri in the first place.

I also currently do not know anyone who also has an Apple Watch, so I can't really send any drawing or those bizarre Apple emoji animations to anyone.

18. mightyjabba thread starter macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Seems like I'm not the only one to feel this way. I also think the digital touch features are kind of pointless, and don't get me started on the 3D emoji. Hate them.

19. noidpr macrumors regular

noidpr

That button should be used for music playback.

20. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I will use it less than I've used "Recents" on the App Switcher screen on the iPhone. So less than zero times. :p

21. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

Strange theory - maybe they included this button because all Apple devices need at least two buttons for force shut down? How else would the watch be forced to shut down? Or screenshots?

So I'm sure they could repurpose the button later, but for now, just a quick way to get in touch.

22. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I knew from the moment they announced that button's function, that I wouldn't be using it. And I haven't. I think I used it one time just because. Neither my credit card nor bank supports Apple Pay yet, so that button is almost useless since I'll rarely be powering it down.

I can almost guarantee that in the future, we will be able to assign different functions to it.

23. applegeek97 macrumors 6502a

applegeek97

Yes , thats why i use it

24. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I use it for the digital touch feature. My wife have been sending a few back and forth every day since we got the watches. I assume that the novelty will wear off, but it's a fun and quick way to communicate throughout the day. I sent her my heartbeat after going for a run this evening (she was still at work) - she texted me to ask if I was okay. :p

25. aamoren3 macrumors member

I don't use it at all... I've only used it for Apple Pay. Wish we could re-assign the button to whatever we'd like.