Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
23 years on Macs, beginning with OS 7.0.1, and not one problem vis-a-vis malware. But then, I have absolutely no communication with Windows, and scan URLs before clicking a Google search item that I am unfamiliar with.

As for data protection - backup on external media, which is only connected during backup process.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I've been using Macs since 1994 and I have never used antivirus software. Here's hoping that I never will.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
I have never gotten any viruses on my computer running mac os 10.6 but I did get a genio malware once but it didn't do anything other than fail to make some websites load properly and display an install screen upon shutting down my mac. It was fairly easy to remove.

Queen6

macrumors G4
what is the best anti virus for mac anyway, always did want to know that? in the future, when i get my laptop, which is gonna be a MSI laptop, im gonna use an anti virus app for sure cause thats windows

Right now go with Avast, it`s free covers both malicious code on OS X and Windows, updates frequently, is fully 64 bit, with no realistic impact on performance. My only advice on set up opt to turn off monitoring secure connections. You can all so safely uninstall the bundled VPN, I already have so don't have need of Avast`s.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Centaurr

mtasquared

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
In the past 6 months several vulnerabilities have been disclosed in OSX which are quite serious, specifically privilege escalation vulnerabilities. Apple has only chosen to patch Yosemite and later. As I run 10.8 (for very good reasons) I felt that I was more at risk and installed Bitdefender Virus Scanner, a free utility. I run it occasionally, not all the time. To my surprise, it found a Genio adware installer and some other malware on my Mac. Screw the malware writers, but also Apple for abandoning its legacy OS users. Even Microsoft supported their old OS'es for longer than this. Anyway, OSX is no longer invulnerable. That is the main thing.

Queen6

macrumors G4
In the past 6 months several vulnerabilities have been disclosed in OSX which are quite serious, specifically privilege escalation vulnerabilities. Apple has only chosen to patch Yosemite and later. As I run 10.8 (for very good reasons) I felt that I was more at risk and installed Bitdefender Virus Scanner, a free utility. I run it occasionally, not all the time. To my surprise, it found a Genio adware installer and some other malware on my Mac. Screw the malware writers, but also Apple for abandoning its legacy OS users. Even Microsoft supported their old OS'es for longer than this. Anyway, OSX is no longer invulnerable. That is the main thing.

Malware is the greater risk, right now on OS X, and unfortunately on the rise. I am not sure if Bitdefender has an active scanner, hence why I use Avast, equally Bitdefender`s paid solution will be an improvement in that area, although I don't feel is needed currently on OS X. Your results don't surprise as the injection of malicious code is getting ever smarter with more and more AdWare being incorporated into installers.

You clearly have reason for staying with 10.8, so in this scenario increased vigilance is wise. Apple wants all users to move to the latest platform for their own internal reasons, abandoning previous iterations of OS X is an effective mechanism to do so.

Q-6

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
You will find there is a great deal of denial about OS X and it`s security which results in false security for many, as they assume that all have the same usage and workflow, which is generally never the case.

As someone who relies on their Mac`s for a living absolutely yes OS X does require protection above and beyond what Apple offers, I see the same question, same rhetoric, over and over;

There are multiple reasons to run antivirus/malware detection on OS X especially if you are dealing with mixed environments. Passing on malicious code, even inadvertently will do you no favours in the professional world, let alone your family and friends. What does not hurt OS X may well bring a Windows based system to it`s knees. By far the vast majority of companies that you may potentially work with, or interact with will require a level of antivirus protection, regardless of platform.
Q-6
Thank you for this very thorough and intelligent write-up. I've been in IT since 1977 and have worked under contract in IBM-owned datacenters and they all have stringent data processing standards and procedures, which include the presence of active anti-virus software and boot passwords, and they have roving auditors that come around from time to time checking PC's. IBM is in the process now of giving its people the option of working on macs instead of PC's and I'm sure the requirement for AV will still be in place regardless of the change in platform.

I just installed Avast on 2 of my 3 systems and ran full scans. Nothing found in the operating system or user files, but there were 8 hits on attachments (resumes in MSWord, for instance) included in received emails. That pretty much confirms your concerns about unknowingly passing on malicious code to a colleague's more-vulnerable windows machine and causing a work outage. A mac user's claims of operating system invulnerability will sound pretty weak were it determined that such an issue was introduced by their supposedly-secure system.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thank you for this very thorough and intelligent write-up. I've been in IT since 1977 and have worked under contract in IBM-owned centers and they all have stringent data processing standards and procedures, which include the presence of active anti-virus software and boot passwords, and they have roving auditors that come around from time to time checking PC's. IBM is in the process now of giving its people the option of working on macs instead of PC's and I'm sure the requirement for AV will still be in place regardless of the change in platform.

I just installed Avast on 2 of my 3 systems and ran full scans. Nothing found in the operating system or user files, but there were 8 hits on attachments (resumes in MSWord, for instance) included in received emails. That pretty much confirms your concerns about unknowingly passing on malicious code to a colleague's more-vulnerable windows machine and causing a work outage. A mac user's claims of operating system invulnerability will sound pretty weak were it determined that such an issue was introduced by their supposedly-secure system.

Thanks again.

Thx I simply want to pass the word and the options, those that feel such measures are unnecessary are more than welcome to continue. To ensure security a multilayered approach is the only safe response, being proactive versus being reactive will always prevail in the long run.

As ever much is dependent on the users knowledge, exposure, and willingness to learn....

Q-6

Reactions: wgnoyes

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Nothing is perfect and invulnerable in this fast-paced world.
I have two applications addressing malware (AdwareMedic and ClamXav). I run them time to time, just for the feeling of security.
None of them ever found a malware, but I don't exclude the possibility that in the future anything can happen.

Mike5

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Been a Mac user since 1994 (Quadra 650, CPU: 25MHz, RAM: 16MB). I had no need to use anti-virus software ever. I did use clamXav couple of times though, only to find out my system was clean and there was nothing to worry about. My point of view is: you don't need any extra software to keep your Mac healthy - just keep it up to date with system updates from Apple.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Right now go with Avast, it`s free covers both malicious code on OS X and Windows, updates frequently, is fully 64 bit, with no realistic impact on performance. My only advice on set up opt to turn off monitoring secure connections. You can all so safely uninstall the bundled VPN, I already have so don't have need of Avast`s.

Q-6
How do you uninstall the VPN part (just drag it to the trash can?) without possibly blowing up the uninstall feature that comes with the Avast download?

Queen6

macrumors G4
How do you uninstall the VPN part (just drag it to the trash can?) without possibly blowing up the uninstall feature that comes with the Avast download?

You could just turn it off and ignore as that may be easier. I closed the application deleted the App from the application folder, then searched for all traces of it with "Find Any File" and deleted them, with no negative issue.

The keyword to search is "Secureline"

This link will help with removal of the files: Best way to fully delete a program? #16

Q-6

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Never used one in OS X, and don't bother in Windows anymore either. Haven't had any issues on either platform. Just need to stay up to date and not do stupid things.

The one and only virus I've ever had on a system of my own was in the DOS era. Only time I've seen an issue on Macs was a virus outbreak way back in high-school on their Mac OS 8.x systems.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thank you for this very thorough and intelligent write-up. I've been in IT since 1977 and have worked under contract in IBM-owned datacenters and they all have stringent data processing standards and procedures, which include the presence of active anti-virus software and boot passwords, and they have roving auditors that come around from time to time checking PC's. IBM is in the process now of giving its people the option of working on macs instead of PC's and I'm sure the requirement for AV will still be in place regardless of the change in platform.

Thanks again.

I would now also recommend that people install Malwarebytes for Mac, as has been frequently stated malicious code is ever evolving and we as a community should equally be fluid.

Also latest update on same from Thomas Reed - https://blog.malwarebytes.org/2015/08/

FWIW 10.11 closes many of the current vunerabilities in 10.10.5, this may be a factor of Apple cleaning up the code or a higher level of awareness, equally 10.10.5 remains vulnerable...

Q-6

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
For years I like most considered OS X and the Unix platform to be bulletproof. These days you're either super careful or you get something along the lines of Avast As stated above, modern macs really won't slow down and it's better to be protected than not. All this said, I have yet to encounter any virus in the wild that can attack an OS X system but malware is rife Protection is just common sense

psychspirit

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
Hi there,

I have searched the forum but didn't find any recent posting on this topic..all I found were from 2011.

I want to get some sort of antivirus protection for my mac. I feel there could be malware but not sure.

I searched google for the best software or app and so far I see BitMedic for 34.99 in the App Store. Is it better than Avast?

Does anyone know of any good well known antivirus for Mac? I read that AVG doesn't work well only catches 88% of viruses. Also read that Norton is to stay away from.

Is Avast still good? and how much?

Thanks everyone, and any input appreciated! I rather not spend $35 but will do so if it's worth it.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Hard to imagine you didn't find any recent posts as they pop up at least monthly here. And the answers are always the same as they have been since I joined in 2008. Most forum members don't use any anti-virus on their Macs. I don't have any reason. If in the future there is a reason, I suppose I will reevaluate--but I don't see the need at present.

Reactions: MacDawg

keithpotz

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Colorado
There really isn't much need for Anti-virus on a Mac. Though if you do suspect it you can always download Malwarebytes and run that. It has a pretty good track record of getting stuff off.

That's just my suggestion though.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
What I do that helps is use OpenDNS.com (in my router) and block know Trojan hosting web sites and it makes my surfing just a little faster than my ISP DNS!

Plus I never open an attachment if I'm not expecting it from someone I know! Lastly I don't download from sketchy sites anymore!

Being smart about being on the Internet helps too! The Internet is the Wild West in ways so just use some common sense and keep your surfing relatively clean.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hi there,

I have searched the forum but didn't find any recent posting on this topic..all I found were from 2011.

I want to get some sort of antivirus protection for my mac. I feel there could be malware but not sure.

I searched google for the best software or app and so far I see BitMedic for 34.99 in the App Store. Is it better than Avast?

Does anyone know of any good well known antivirus for Mac? I read that AVG doesn't work well only catches 88% of viruses. Also read that Norton is to stay away from.

Is Avast still good? and how much?

Thanks everyone, and any input appreciated! I rather not spend $35 but will do so if it's worth it.

Avast & Malwarebytes for Mac are free. You can read more on Avast`s performance here; http://www.av-comparatives.org/mac-security-reviews/

Q-6

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I use one on my Windows virtual machines under Parallels. On the OS X side, no.
Exactly the same. I got a new mac last week and now my Fusion version does not work, but previously I ran Avast on the virtual machine and nothing on the mac side.

What I do that helps is use OpenDNS.com (in my router) and block know Trojan hosting web sites and it makes my surfing just a little faster than my ISP DNS!

Plus I never open an attachment if I'm not expecting it from someone I know! Lastly I don't download from sketchy sites anymore!

Being smart about being on the Internet helps too! The Internet is the Wild West in ways so just use some common sense and keep your surfing relatively clean.
Very helpful tips, much more helpful than any antivirus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.