Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
It seems to really improve performance of Google Maps, which I use constantly. But at what cost? Battery? Google knowing where I am at every moment? Thoughts?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I suppose just because it doesn't have to figure out where you are when you start it that it might seem like it's working better.

It's tracking and recording your moves all the time if you set it to "Always". I don't know what it does with the data if you're not signed in but if you are: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0
I don't think "always" necessarily means it's always doing it, just that it can do it if you were using it before recently or something like that.

Reactions: jpn

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
According to Apple’s developer documentation ‘Always’ allows the app to: (1) start tracking your location whenever it is woken up in the background (e.g. via Background App Refresh), (2) ask the system to wake it up in the background when the device detects location or boundary changes.

It depends on what you are doing with this application, but generally location services are very energy-intensive. Google can also use these permissions to stay awake in the background virtually forever and record every moment (and they actually do this).

Reactions: dialdn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.