Do you also own an eReader?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I figured that once I had my iPad, there would be no use for a secondary eReader. I'm finding that I still use my Kindle 3 as much as I did before my iPad. It's not that's the iPad isn't a good substitute at certain times, but from a weight and battery life standpoint, I still prefer the K3.

Anyone else still use a separate device for reading? And if you're now using your iPad solely for reading, how do you hold it for prolonged periods (couple of hours) of reading ?

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I bought a Kindle after having bought my iPad. Thought it might be a stupid purchase - but it is a more pleasant reading experience for long-form texts like novels, and when summer comes back round, it's the only choice for reading outside.

I'll sometimes read Kindle material on the iPad too though - especially graphically rich texts, occasionally in bed for the backlit screen, for shorter texts, and just because I happen to have the iPad with me.

3. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I never was really interested in an ereader before 2 weeks ago. I played with them, but they just didn't really catch on to me. My mother won a Kindle 3 through a drawing and she didn't even know what it was. She gave it to me as she felt she had no use for it, even after me explaining it to her and saying she would like it (gotta love moms.) I have to say, I really enjoy reading on it after some use. It gives little distraction and does a good job of getting out of your way to let you read. I never really though I would want an ereader, but after using the kindle, I think I will always have one now. I love IOS devices, but the simplicity of an ereader is quite comfortable, and the size and weight is very agreeable.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I have the iPad and the K3. When first got the K3, I used it exclusively as my reader. But, now it just sits at home completely unused. The problem for me is that I do most of my reading indoors, and the contrast on the K3 just doesn't compare to the iPad's backlit screen (not to mention the fact that it's impossible reading in the dark except with what I feel is a clumsy lighted cover). Also, the fact that there's no touch screen and that there's lag when turning pages just seems a bit outdated. It's also a pain jumping from page to page or going back to the table of contents. With the iPad, I can just scroll through a book with my finger or easily jump to the TOC with just a couple of taps. So much more onerous of a process with the K3.

So these days, I'd rather use the iPad or the iPhone or even my MBA. What I'd really like, to be honest, is a 7-incher. Just waiting for a decent one to be released. The only real option at this point is the Galaxy Tab, but it doesn't really make sense to fork over the cash for a non-Honeycomb Android tablet considering the flood of Honeycomb tablets that will be released this year.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have the iPad and a Nook Color. The smaller screen + high resolution offers sharper text even if it's not 'retina'.

For reading in bed I find it a more pleasant experience. I was going to buy q kindle 3, but I just can not get used to the slow page redraw.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've never owned an ereader, but I use my iPad a lot to read in bed. I often read for several hours without stopping. I got a travel pillow, the kind you put around your neck that's stuffed with beady material, and it's perfect for propping the iPad up on my lap (when sitting) or on my stomach (when lying down).

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've got a Kindle 3 as well as my iPad and find the Kindle is far, far better as an e-reader for reading novels, etc due to it's incredibly light weight and smaller form factor. I use my iPad for text books and other graphically rich publications (such as newspapers)

8. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I bought a K2 before i bought an iPad, i love both greatly, the Kindle is fantastic for the daily commute, reading whilst having lunch break at work and reading whilst in bed. I tried doing the latter with my iPad once - nodded off whilst reading and nearly ended up with a concussion when it hit me full on in the face! ouch!
    I use the iPad for note taking in my scout meetings, monitoring my calendar, videos for long journeys and general t'internet access.

I do like the idea of combined devices, but the kindle is leaps and bounds better for reading especially in direct sunlight.

Recently bought the wife a K3, soooo jealous, it looks lovely and much cheaper than my poor old K2 was, ah well i'll use the K2 til it dies then see what's around!

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

I was an early adopter for the original Kindle and picked up the 2 when it came out. I read a lot (at least one book a week) and enjoyed my Kindles very much. I haven't used them at all since the iPad came out. I just find the iPad to be a better reading experience overall. To each his own.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't. I'm content with using the iPad as my eReader. True the Kindle's form fact would make it easier reading on the train. I don't want to spend $$ on a unitasker when I have a multitasker doing the same and more.

11. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

iPad & Kindle 3

Bought my iPad first and then my Kindle 3 shortly after.
    They are not redundant for me as the iPad is unsurpassed for reading the Wall Street Journal and magazines and other light fare. However, the Kindle 3 is unsurpassed for reading books and any other material of considerable length.

12. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would like an all in one machine to do everything, but we all know that is basically impossible. Some may be perfect for some people and some things, and then some never will. I have K3, iPad, iPhone 4, a few iPods and a few other things that are vaguely similar :rolleyes: None still have me completely satisfied. The thing that does satisfies me is that I have the oppurtunity to mess around with all of them at my convenience :D But, I have to say, the Kindle 3 has me reading quite a bit more non-media enriched text than prior to owning one. I guess we will see if that continues.

13. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I don't. I really like the Ipad as an e-read of books, magazines, web articles and posts (through flipboard or pulse). However, I have to admit I like paper better for books. If I ever switch totally to e-books, I could see myself having an e-reader. The way I see it, an e-reader is to Ipad as the nano is the Ipod Touch/IPhone. A cheaper, lighter, but less functional version of the real deal. I've got an Iphone but at the gym it's really nice to have the nano. Same would go for an e-reader.

14. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I don't because I don't read that much but my wife, yes... she couldn't read the iPad outside in the sunlight she enjoys reading outside by the pool and the iPad just wasn't getting the job done so she wanted a Nook for Christmas..... I keep telling her she could probably replace me that easily too!

15. Hawke macrumors regular

I got an ereader.. best thing ever... I can read in direct sunlight (like out in the garden around summer) and i got a lamp attachment where i can read in bed.. the e-ink display has improved a lot last year in these devices. I much prefer reading on this than let's say on an iPad as the LCD light hurts my eyes especially at night when in bed...

I'd probably see myself using the iPad for magazines, but not for books.

I was always under the impression that e-readers would never replace my books, but it has, especially when it comes to travel, and the fact everything is on one device and it is so light and handy and every book is backed up in case i lose my device and need to buy a new one

16. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Having been a kindle user since the K1, I use both my ipad and my kindles. I did use my ipad more after getting it however now that Apple is making noise about the kindle app etc, I am glad I have my kindles. The bulk of my books are kindle format and I will be really upset if Apple screws up the kindle app and I couldn't read them on the ipad. One of the main differences I like about the kindle app are the book covers. HAve noticed that the covers show up on the kindle app but not on the kindle itself.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a Kindle 2 and love it. Light weight, easy on the eyes, can read in sunlight, etc.

18. dingster1 macrumors regular

K3 + iPad user here. Got the K3 first for all the texts I use to teach with, then I use the iPad to actually teach from.