Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Curious for MBA owners (especially M1 owners), do you also own an iPad? If so, how often is each device used and for what purpose?

Reactions: VaruLV

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I have a M1 MBA and an iPad Pro (2020). I use the iPad Pro for work a few days a week and at home, I use it in Sidecar mode and for nighttime reading.
What size Pro do you have? Nevermind see it's an 11 from your signature, apologies.

That seems like the ideal setup and I would pull the trigger on the new one in a heart beat if they dropped the new display technology into the 11 too but now I am struggling with getting a previous gen or waiting for when they do finally drop it in the 11 inch (which could be a year+ from now)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have an iPad Pro 11". I use it mostly for consumption tasks like watching youTube, reading emails and sending short replies. I also use it for reading technical papers and marking them up with the Apple pencil.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I have a M1 MBA and an iPad Air 2 which is, I believe, too old to be "sidecarred".
Consequently I have only just charged it up and updated it (from ios 12 I think it was) :)
Probably still won't use it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What size Pro do you have? Nevermind see it's an 11 from your signature, apologies.

That seems like the ideal setup and I would pull the trigger on the new one in a heart beat if they dropped the new display technology into the 11 too but now I am struggling with getting a previous gen or waiting for when they do finally drop it in the 11 inch (which could be a year+ from now)
I think the current 11" is a good buy. I honestly don't think you will see the 11" get the added features at this point in time.

Reactions: applematic

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I've bought the iPad Air 4th gen today (albeit 2nd hand but immaculate/in warranty) and will have that side by side with the MBA that I'm going to buy once I've dropped off my iMac

I'll probably use it via Sidecar for viewing docs etc and then I'll use the iPad for what I normally use it for (reading car magazines and playing various games) :)

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I have a basic iPad 2020 8th generation. I was without a Mac for 8 months so used a gift certificate to purchase the iPad. I was getting along well with it as my only device but couldn't resist trying the M1 MacBook Air. Its only been a week with both devices but so far my use is split about 50/50.

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I had the 4th Gen iPad Air but ended up returning during the Holiday return period and decided to wait for the update to the pros. I am now struggling with getting the new 11 Pro (at a premium and then inevitably wanting the new one when they finally do put the XDR display in the 11), the new 12.9 (for the display technology alone, but even MORE of a premium and for me the 12.9 is a bit too big/heavy as tablet) or getting a previous gen 11, or I guess nothing/waiting (but that's no fun lol and I do really enjoy the iPad experience)?

I may wait until WWDC to see what they have in store for iPadOS 15, if its not clearly going to be taking advantage of the M1 chip/extra RAM the new Pros offer then I'll probably go for a previous gen 11.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
We have a 2014 iPad and the one thing ive never liked is how slow tabs open for web browsing. I sometimes open loads of tabs to get to my news stories I want to read etc but then when I click on the tabs they all seem to have to refresh! which annoys me. So in answer to the question, Yes but I don't use it much because I find it slow.. I do wonder if the newer iPads are much of an improvement for web browsing.

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
We have a 2014 iPad and the one thing ive never liked is how slow tabs open for web browsing. I sometimes open loads of tabs to get to my news stories I want to read etc but then when I click on the tabs they all seem to have to refresh! which annoys me. So in answer to the question, Yes but I don't use it much because I find it slow.. I do wonder if the newer iPads are much of an improvement for web browsing.
Most likely RAM if it's a 2014 iPad. You would notice a difference if you upgraded. Get 4 iPad Air has 4GB, if your current one is the Air 2 that would double your RAM as the A8X in that model had 2GBs

Reactions: JamesMay82

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Most likely RAM if it's a 2014 iPad. You would notice a difference if you upgraded. Get 4 iPad Air has 4GB, if your current one is the Air 2 that would double your RAM as the A8X in that model had 2GBs
Will check it out. One other thing, I feel like iPads were good when laptops were primarily mechanical hard drives and slow. Since all laptops are instant on and fast now, I feel that the iPad isn't needed quite as much.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have an M1 13" MBP plus a couple of older computers, and I have the third-generation (2018?) 12.9" iPad plus an iPad Mini 5. The 12.9 iPad serves as my sitting-on-the-deck-in-nice-weather device so I can keep up with emails, forums, etc., and also it sits beside the computer when I'm at the computer workstation so that if I need to look up something really quickly or an email or text comes in to which I need to respond immediately and don't want to interrupt what I'm doing on the computer (such as editing photos), I use the iPad.

The iPad Mini 5 is the one which travels with me around town or around the country, as it fits so nicely in most of my bags. On trips I also still use my 2017 12" MacBook since it is lighter in weight and slightly smaller in dimensions than the M1 MBP.

Around the house iPads come in very handy when the computers are shut down and I just want to check something quickly or need to respond to an incoming text. Sure, I could do it on the iPhone but it's much easier typing on the iPad than the much-smaller iPhone!

Also, since both iPads are equipped with cellular data I can use them during power outages, too, and that has come in handy more than a couple of times.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t have a MBA but I use my 12.9” iPP exactly like one, always attached to a keyboard base (except for when I need to draw, which is why I have the iPP and not a MBA). And I have an iPad mini for the casual stuff. I use the mini a lot more than the 12.9 because I use it like a huge phablet—I carry it around the house and use it for everything except heavy productivity. (I like a small phone when I go out though.) The 12.9 is used just for heavier personal productivity and occasionally for work.

If I didn’t need to draw, then I’d have a MBA and iPad mini. The mini is mainly because I have a small phone though, so if I liked big phones, then I’d probably just have a MBA and iPhone max and forego iPads altogether, even though the max is quite a bit smaller than the mini.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
The fact that I have a 12.9" 2020 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard prevents me from picking up an M1 MacBook Air - even though I'd love to try it. So I'm waiting for something that will put a bit more distance between it and the iPad - like a MacBook Pro with M1X chip and 16/32GB of RAM. I still use my 2019 iMac for work and photo processing. I like screen real estate for both purposes.

Last edited:

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I don’t have a MBA but I use my 12.9” iPP exactly like one, always attached to a keyboard base (except for when I need to draw, which is why I have the iPP and not a MBA). And I have an iPad mini for the casual stuff. I use the mini a lot more than the 12.9 because I use it like a huge phablet—I carry it around the house and use it for everything except heavy productivity. (I like a small phone when I go out though.) The 12.9 is used just for heavier personal productivity and occasionally for work.

If I didn’t need to draw, then I’d have a MBA and iPad mini. The mini is mainly because I have a small phone though, so if I liked big phones, then I’d probably just have a MBA and iPhone max and forego iPads altogether, even though the max is quite a bit smaller than the mini.
Very interesting, dual iPad set up and no full laptop at all or run windows?

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
The fact that I have a 12.9" 2020 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard prevents me from picking up an M1 MacBook Air - even though I'd love to try it. So I'm waiting for something that will put a bit more distance between it and the iPad - like a MackBook Pro with M1X chip and 16/32GB of RAM. I still use my 2019 iMac for work and photo processing. I like screen real estate for both purposes.
Yes totally agree, that's why I didn't preorder the new 12.9, there's too much overlap with the M1 MBA in its current form specially if you end up using the 12.9 with Magic Keyboard most of the time. The distinction between the two could get even more blurry at WWDC depending on what they do with iPadOS

Reactions: Biro

applematic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I have an M1 13" MBP plus a couple of older computers, and I have the third-generation (2018?) 12.9" iPad plus an iPad Mini 5. The 12.9 iPad serves as my sitting-on-the-deck-in-nice-weather device so I can keep up with emails, forums, etc., and also it sits beside the computer when I'm at the computer workstation so that if I need to look up something really quickly or an email or text comes in to which I need to respond immediately and don't want to interrupt what I'm doing on the computer (such as editing photos), I use the iPad.

The iPad Mini 5 is the one which travels with me around town or around the country, as it fits so nicely in most of my bags. On trips I also still use my 2017 12" MacBook since it is lighter in weight and slightly smaller in dimensions than the M1 MBP.

Around the house iPads come in very handy when the computers are shut down and I just want to check something quickly or need to respond to an incoming text. Sure, I could do it on the iPhone but it's much easier typing on the iPad than the much-smaller iPhone!

Also, since both iPads are equipped with cellular data I can use them during power outages, too, and that has come in handy more than a couple of times.
Do you find the 12.9 too big/heavy at times?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
No, because I use it pretty much only at home and when I'm sitting out on the deck I've got it supported on a stand with an old wireless BT Apple keyboard also at hand, easy to move into any position I wish. In the house it is usually also on a stand. About the only time I actually handle and hold it a lot is when I'm using it while in bed, and that doesn't happen all that often. It doesn't travel with me -- that's why I have the iPad Mini 5 -- and so its weight and size really do not bother me.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
who does not have an iPad? well those who owns a MacBook.
the iPad now has a WD 128GB thumb drive lightning>usb a-
were that can copy art work from the psd to the MacBook air and via versa.
the software is good, just the iPad hates using any file saving format other than iCloud,
but this USB freed up a lot of space, and the files transfer instantly in real time!
screw you iCloud!

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I have an M1 MBP and a regular iPad.

I use the iPad far more. I use the MBP when I’m doing “work” whether dev work, or office work etc.

But I use my iPad and Pencil for note taking, sketching, I use it on the sofa and in bed for web browsing. I use it for reading books too.

It’s just a more relaxed experience to chill and browse on the iPad vs having a laptop on my knee

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Not when I use it with the Magic Keyboard. But I use it without the keyboard fairly often. Its size and weight aren't a problem if, say, I have it in my lap. But if I'm holding it with one hand - a habit that I acquired with the all of the smaller iPads I owned over the years - the weight can be felt after a while and becomes an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.