Do you always close(minimize) your apps before you close/put to sleep your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This question applies to iPhones and iPod touches as well.

Read subject line. I find that I close(minimize, by pushing the home button) the app that I was in 90-95% of the time before I close the case(thus putting my iPad to sleep). I only keep the app open (displaying on the screen) if I am actively in the middle of something and want to make sure that I start back where I left off.

But if you think about it there is no real reason to close(minimize) them before you sleep your iPad. You will still have the same number of steps wether u close(minimize) the app before putting to sleep or after resuming your iPad. In fact it could save time, because frequently I open the last app I was in anyways. Also on a laptop I never close(by minimizing or by clicking the red x) anything before I shut it... So why bother on an iPad?

So what do you do? Do you leave the apps open or not?

Edit: Ok, I didn't realize there would be so much confusion with my terminology. I changed it to more properly indentify my intentions... Who would be so OCD as to close out all of the icons in the multitasking tray anyway? and who would ever fully shut down their iPad?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

When you say close do you mean close them from the multitasking dock or pressing the home button to go back to the home screen?

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't turn my iPad off, but when I put it to sleep, I always close the the apps.

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I pretty much always hit the home button before turning off the screen.

Mostly out of habit, but sometimes with my iPad I hit the home button and lay it on a table and let the sleep timer turn it off. And since some apps disable the sleep timer I always make sure it is on the home screen.

If you are talking about "killing" apps in the app switching bar, then no, I don't do that.

5. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Never. Only time I kill an app is if the app starts to run a bit wonky.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I mean close them from view, ie go to home screen

right. I mean put it to sleep

7. gmaines macrumors member

It is just habit, I close the apps. I think it helps the battery life.

8. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Me too!

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I go to the home screen before putting my iPhone to sleep; unless, like you stated, I want to resume something quickly where I left off.

Every night before bed, I set my alarms then quit all apps by X-ing them in the multitasking bar. It make me feel better knowing that nothing is doing anything I don't want it too in the background while I sleep. I don't think *twitch* I'm being *twitch* paranoid.

10. eastercat, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

ipad: I close all the apps, unless there's a web page that I want to read later.
    iphone: I keep safari and the alarm clock open.

*Close as in kill the apps in the app switcher.

11. goMac macrumors 603

Apps can't actually run, even when they're in the multitasking bar. Aside from the normal audio recording, or finishing a download. Any other background except for audio recording are timeboxed at 10 minutes anyway...

Normally the system will actually force freeze the apps.

12. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Same for me.

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

not really, but I try to only keep the apps that I use constantly in the dock if any. Its usually like 5 max.

14. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

no i do not close the apps.

i generally do a reboot once per week. i dont see any reason to close the apps in between unless there is some sort of issue.

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i always hit the home button when finished with my ipad. most of the time i quit them in the multitask bar as well.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

17. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I generally close all apps on both iPad and iPhone because I feel it helps extend my battery life.

18. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Is closing apps before putting the iPad not totally defeating the purpose of the device? Instant on is there to have your apps instant on too.

19. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

I hope to god there's a "kill all apps" button in iOS 5. Closing individual ones can be so annoying! :mad:

Either that or I hope it gets jailbroken so I don't have to open preferences to turn wifi or off.

20. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I tend to, but less so with iPad 2 smart cover.

It depends whether I'm just putting it down for a while to do something else, or whether I feel like I'm done with it for the time being.

21. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

There's no need to it though.