Do you always want the latest MBP design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhySoSerious, Oct 22, 2009.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

What are your thoughts on this approach to purchase decision?

Current Situation: Own a 2007 MBP 17"
    Current Uses: everything typical, plus lots of movie watching and random photoshop fun (not work, just fun)

Decisoin to be made: Want a MBP but can't decide if I want to spend ~$2,700 on another 17" or ~$1,200 on a 13".

Thought process:

1. The laptop does NOT travel anywhere, it stays at home and is the only computer in the home.
    2. Movies watched are not via DVD, they are movies that have been ripped via Handbrake and formated into an iphone format, then placed in iTunes….so when I watch a movie, it's not the greatest quaility, but the purpose it just to have movies stored on the computer for casual viewing on the go (iphone) or in bed (MBP). So even with a 17" MBP, watching my ripped movies doesn't really bring high quality viewing.
    3. No serious music or video editing done.

Ok, the interesting thought…..I like new technology and I like to keep up to speed with new developments. As of right now, my 2007 MBP is missing the LED screen, the older trackpad, no 3 or 4 finger gestures and a few other features that the current MBP's have. So, in just over 2 years, Apple has redesigned the structure and functionality of the MBP's.

If I spend ~1,200 on a 13", I could easily replace that 13" laptop every year if something new comes out, not losing any money and staying on top of the new designs/features. Where as if I spend ~$2,700 on a 17", I would need to keep it roughly 2.5 years before being able to get a new laptop and not taking a financial hit in the red, thus missing out on new designs/features.

Just one way of thinking about it I suppose if anyone out there likes to have the newest models/designs.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like the older trackpad. But I like the unibody design and look.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since you don't really demand the upper end specs of the 17", just buy the 13" model and then purchase the 24" LED Cinema Display or larger LCD monitor/TV. That way you can get the larger monitor that you can keep for years and then later just upgrade the laptop if you want to stay with current technology.

You will also always have the option of being portable. 13" is a good size for watching movies while in bed or play them on your larger TV/monitor :D

4. phixiuz macrumors regular

Stop being so materialistic and buy one when you do really need a new one? No offence, but seriously... :rolleyes:

5. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I'll share my plan:

My 2006 15" MBP still works very well. It's only a Yonah processor inside and is already maxxed out at 2GB RAM so it's not a speedster anymore. I do a lot of traveling for work, but I have a work laptop for that, so the MBP is more of a "home away from home" thing with my own media library and apps. (also nice not having to use IE6 for all my web browsing)

Right now, my plan is to supplement the MBP with a new 27" iMac at the next refresh (I want more Core i7 options and not starting at $2200) because I primarily use my Mac at home. But with the older MBP, synced with iTunes Home Sharing, use that for travel exclusively.

Having two laptops, to me, seems silly and I'm not someone who constantly buys and sells my machines. If I buy it, it's mine for life - both because I like to tinker with them and keep them running and for nostalgia reasons. And truthfully... the unibody MacBook design, for all it's technical merits, has not grown on me. I simply do not like the design (I find it cold, generic, and sterile) so there's very little "gotta have it" factor, which helps.

6. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

guess what?

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Vote for the 13 MBP. You won't feel bad when you want to upgrade and it is quite portable around the house.

I always want a new toy when something good rolls along. Pass up a lot of speed bumps but almost always buy a new redesign.

So I guess I join the ranks of materialistic too.:rolleyes:

8. XP Defector macrumors 6502

If it never travels, why don't you just pick up one of those nifty new iMacs? The only reason I favoured notebooks over PC's was because they were so compact on the desk. But then so are iMacs.

9. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

good question, but the reason i want a laptop is because of the comfort of using it. i hate being isolated to a desk when using the mac. i much prefer the versatility of being stretched out on the couch or lazy-boy or bed, etc when using it.

so laptops only for me. :D

10. mankymanning macrumors regular

Depends on your usage too. I just upgraded from early 2008 15" MBP to new unibody 17" because I got so sick of the low resolution. Going from your 17" which is either 1680 or 1920 down to a 1280x800 would dirve me nuts, all that scrolling!

11. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

hmmm, good point. now you got me double guessing myself! you think the 13" resolution is that bad? :confused::eek:

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Didn't originally want the late-2008 MacBook Pro. It might be thicker but I liked the last-gen design and found someone selling it for a very reasonable price but of course the 8600M GT had the problem.

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I found the last 08 high end 15" MBP aluminum model for ~$1,400 right after the unibodies first came out (I already had found the warranty at a discount months before, and couldn't pass up my dream machine for the video card issue. If mine's going to break, I'm going to work it under warranty until it does).

If you know someone at your local college go there with them a day or two (or call I suppose) after Apple upgrades their lineup. If the upgrade is small, maybe you'll be saving an extra $100 off the edu price, but for the times they make a large change the price will drop significantly. Either way, you'll be getting a deal, and maybe a free printer or iPod out of the deal as well.

Heck, mine has a deal for $1499 for the base 15" Pro right now.

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I'm surprised you have a 17" with your current uses.

It's probably better for you to get a 13", because it's lighter and smaller so it's probably easier to use on the couch and whatnot. Even a MacBook Air will probably do well for you or maybe even a 15"

Course I like the new trackpad...one reason I've held off from getting the Air.

15. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i agree with you 100%. the 17" was my first mac and I just splurged. :) anyway, after 2+ years using it, I have come to determine that a 13" will probably be the best fit for me.

plus, saving the money by getting a 13" will allow me to upgrade to a new 13" every time they come out with a new design....and i also save some money to get the "tablet" that comes out next year (if it provides different value in terms of use versus the 13").

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

In the mac laptop world I started with a 15" Ti Powerbook. I then downgraded to the 14.1" iBook after the Ti was stolen. My family recently upgraded big time to an 2008 17" MBP (non-unibody). I always thought a 17" would be too big, but I've got to say that it's awesome. I understand your uses don't require a power machine, but I would rather buy a previous generation or maybe a year old machine and not have the latest and greatest to stay with the larger screen.

I've always tried to look at it this way. Every machine I buy is an upgrade to me in that it brings new features and new improvements over what I was previously using. I may not have the latest and greatest, but I'm always working my way towards it and my budget is much more reasonable to work with.

17. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

how do you come to this conclusion?

18. findwaldonow macrumors member

I own the 15.4" 2.66 last gen model and I'm absolutely in love with it so I'll give you an argument for a compromise between your two choices. I'd recommend getting the 2.53 refurb model for 1449 as it brings you down on price and also because we're still in that weird moment where a refurbished last gen is actually better than the current generation 15's except the highest end one. The screen's got resolution for your movie use though not as crazy as the 17 of course. I personally would be one to move down rather than up in size if I didn't have the 15 just because I think a 17 is a little ridiculous. If the built in battery is irrelevant to you (being used at home a lot) and so is the SD card v. expresscard stuff, but price is somewhat of a factor you might check out the refurb store.

19. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Here was my thinking…and it doesn't mean it will happen, but it doesn't mean it won't happen….just a thought:

Oct 2009: buy 13" for 1,200
    Oct 2009: buy 17" for 2,700

Now let's assume Apple pulls out a new design every year….

Oct 2010: buy 13" for 1,200 (now I have the new design and so far I've spent 2,400)
    Oct 2010: buy 17" for 2,700 (now I have the new design and so far I've spent 5,400)…(or stick with an older design, but that's now the point of the argument…)

I was just saying, with the 13", you could theoretically just keep buying the latest and greatest every year (assuming Apple released a new design every year for this hypothetical) and not really drop that much money.

20. HBOC macrumors 68020

I LOVE my early 2008 model. It looks better, IMO. But that is just me:)

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you can purchase a new '17 without borrowing money to do so, have no other debts to pay down, and aren't crunched financially in any other way then there's no reason not to.

If all of the above isn't true, its a foolish choice to spend so much money on something uneeded. I've seen a lot of late model Apple laptops for sale by people who overspent, and then needed the money for rent, food, and other *basic* living expenses.

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

And these are the exact people you look to buy from. They've taken the initial depreciation hit so you don't have to. I think I would buy used or refurb no matter what choice in model you end up making. As long as it's not more than a year old then you can pick up Applecare and not have to worry about the warranty being expired.

23. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I am definately an obsessive compulsive when it comes to new MBP designs. To answer the OP's question, yes, I always buy the newest MBP design. ;)

24. JustDom89 macrumors member

JustDom89

What about the late 06 MBP? They're the ones that came just before the 8600 time bomb. The highest model one had 2.33GHz and 3GB ram. Would that be a good buy?