Do you back up your apps in iTunes

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

I've always had all my iOS apps in iTunes, but these days with iCloud I'm thinking there's little reason to keep all my apps and device backups on my computer as they simply take up unnecessary space on my storage-light Macbook Air.

So I was thinking to simply delete them all and not back my apps to iTunes. What do you guys do?

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I have my iPad and iPhone backed up to the iCloud only. I just don't see a reason anymore to sync with my computer. I have a feeling the Apple servers that hold my back up data is more reliable than my MBPro or MacMini.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
They are stored in the cloud whether you want them or not. That's why when you got to the purchased section of the store you see the little cloud icon.

That being said, I don't have them on my computer anymore. Just don't need to waste the space. If I want to re-download an app, like I said, that's what the iTunes store purchased section is for.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I keep them in iTunes because I like to check if any have been updated with some nice features that might interest me to reinstall some apps again.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Yes I keep them in iTunes. I also sync my iPad with iTunes. I also like iTunes to be the "central" location for all things on my iPad and iPod. I have plenty of disk space in my MBP so that's not a problem.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
iCloud only keeps a backup of apps that are still in the app store. iTunes backup keeps everything - so that's the way for me.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
I didn't know you had a choice, I thought it deleted them from our device if you didn't. Guess they changed that with the cloud stuf.

I do liked getting update notices on uninstalled apps, but I'll probably delete/disable that now.

Glad I had my local copy of iMame for getting it on the 3 though.

tommot82

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I should have mentioned that I also have a copy of my entire library on my NAS so...Call me paranoid...:)
Paranoid! :)

I also have an offsite backup which I rotate twice a month!! Oh and... No I'm not super anal about my iOS apps, I backup all my media in the same way.

Maria Caren

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Audio Backup App for iPhone/ipad

I recently downloaded an iPhone data safety app and I am very happy with it. It backups my data (including audio files). Even if my iPhone gets stolen or damaged, I will still have access to my data via my app private web account. I can easily block the device and deny access to my sensitive business info stored on the device and the thief will not have access to it :rolleyes:. A 24h free trial of the app is available to test how it works. It is called MobileMonitor and can be downloaded via Cydia ;) if interested, do check it out. It is kinda cool actually and very very useful.