Do you back up your apps in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by i0Nic, Mar 24, 2012.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I've always had all my iOS apps in iTunes, but these days with iCloud I'm thinking there's little reason to keep all my apps and device backups on my computer as they simply take up unnecessary space on my storage-light Macbook Air.

So I was thinking to simply delete them all and not back my apps to iTunes. What do you guys do?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I keep them in iTunes on my Mac...I don't use the Cloud...Just prefer things that way.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I should have mentioned that I also have a copy of my entire library on my NAS so...Call me paranoid...:)

5. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I have my iPad and iPhone backed up to the iCloud only. I just don't see a reason anymore to sync with my computer. I have a feeling the Apple servers that hold my back up data is more reliable than my MBPro or MacMini.

6. monkeylui macrumors 6502

They are stored in the cloud whether you want them or not. That's why when you got to the purchased section of the store you see the little cloud icon.

That being said, I don't have them on my computer anymore. Just don't need to waste the space. If I want to re-download an app, like I said, that's what the iTunes store purchased section is for.

7. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I keep them in iTunes because I like to check if any have been updated with some nice features that might interest me to reinstall some apps again.

8. waynep macrumors 6502

Yes I keep them in iTunes. I also sync my iPad with iTunes. I also like iTunes to be the "central" location for all things on my iPad and iPod. I have plenty of disk space in my MBP so that's not a problem.

9. elmo151 Guest

moved onto the cloud which seems to becoming the norm for almost every well designer app and program

10. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I do both as you just never know what may happen.
    I like the cloud but I don't trust it yet.

11. fruitycups macrumors 6502

12. dancj macrumors 6502

iCloud only keeps a backup of apps that are still in the app store. iTunes backup keeps everything - so that's the way for me.

13. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I didn't know you had a choice, I thought it deleted them from our device if you didn't. Guess they changed that with the cloud stuf.

I do liked getting update notices on uninstalled apps, but I'll probably delete/disable that now.

Glad I had my local copy of iMame for getting it on the 3 though.

14. tommot82 macrumors regular

Paranoid! :)

I also have an offsite backup which I rotate twice a month!! Oh and... No I'm not super anal about my iOS apps, I backup all my media in the same way.

15. Maria Caren macrumors newbie

Audio Backup App for iPhone/ipad

I recently downloaded an iPhone data safety app and I am very happy with it. It backups my data (including audio files). Even if my iPhone gets stolen or damaged, I will still have access to my data via my app private web account. I can easily block the device and deny access to my sensitive business info stored on the device and the thief will not have access to it :rolleyes:. A 24h free trial of the app is available to test how it works. It is called MobileMonitor and can be downloaded via Cydia ;) if interested, do check it out. It is kinda cool actually and very very useful.