Do you backup your computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DramaLLama, Apr 15, 2013.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

If so, do you use online backup or local storage?

2. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

I use Time Machine, SuperDuper to a network drive, and Carbonite for on-line backup (use Carbonite for my iPad and iPhone too).

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable clones of internal drives and also backup external drives.

You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

CrashPlan, SuperDuper! and TimeMachine here. Not everything for every computer (I've got 7), but important items are backed up on all three methods.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

SuperDuper to multiple HDDs.

Anyone with anything they value on a computer should have multiple backups. We get threads on a regular basis from people who where their HDD crashed or they mistakenly deleted all their pictures or whatever and want to know how to recover...

the way to recover is to use a backup.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...well, duh. I let Time Machine do it's thing but also do some clones with Super Duper every couple of weeks or so, or at very most before doing any major software installs/upgrades...if you don't you're asking for trouble....oh yeah!

7. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, not new to computers & BU strategies, but just obtained a new rMBP - this is my personal computer (in retirement) - files are not critical, so doing Time Machine on an external HD, AND also double BU of my Docs/Music/Photos onto a La Cie external SSD.

NOW, about to obtain a new iMac (mainly for the wife) - will do Time Machine onto a Seagate I TB HD and also Cabonite online - BOTTOM LINE - a single BU option is not enough for important files, AND if these are crucial then offline storage is a definite consideration (who knows, your house may burn down?) - :)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use TimeMachine to a NAS, and Carbon Copy Cloner to a couple of external disks, one of which is a portable disk that I take offsite.

I like TM for those moments that I deleted a file/folder and CCC for full system restores. I find CCC much faster to restore my entire system then TM - as usual YMMV

9. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Of course. Because to do otherwise WILL result in the loss of all my files.

I have two Macs synced and TM on a 3TB external. Other copies on a 500Gb G-Drive.

10. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Time machine backup to a portable hard drive, more important stuff goes on Dropbox, encrypted with BoxCryptor.

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

TM to a partitioned 2 TB WD USB 3 external and CrashPlan for off-site. My VM isn't backed up as I only use it to access data that's already backed up through other methods (Truecrypt volume that's shared from OS X to the VM, contains financial docs and is backed up itself).