Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I would say I'm a semi-hard core gamer. I read up on lots of games, mostly buy all my games on their respective launch dates, and I'm the go-to-guy when friends and family have questions about when games are coming out, are they good, blah blah blah. I was looking at my game collection, and I thought to myself holy crap I haven't beaten any of these games. From Call of duty 2, 3, and 4 I've always played the first couple of levels, and then jumped straight online and never looked back. Same thing goes with the Halo series. I got zelda, paper mario, and mario galaxy..again I was totally in to them when I first got them, but never looked back as I get more into "what I just bought". I know it's a shame because they are such great games, and also because of what video games cost. But for example in zelda I guess I'm lazy to go back because I really forgot where I'm at in the game, and what I need to do next. I remember back when I was a kid, it was always about "Did you beat the game!??!! it took me x amount of hours to beat it..blah blah". Maybe it's because I'm a full-time student, part-time worker, and have a pretty busy social life with my girlfriend and friends. Or maybe I just don't got it in me like I used to...

So, Do you guys complete all the games you purchase?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I would say I'm a semi-hard core gamer. I read up on lots of games, mostly buy all my games on their respective launch dates, and I'm the go-to-guy when friends and family have questions about when games are coming out, are they good, blah blah blah. I was looking at my game collection, and I thought to myself holy crap I haven't beaten any of these games. From Call of duty 2, 3, and 4 I've always played the first couple of levels, and then jumped straight online and never looked back. Same thing goes with the Halo series. I got zelda, paper mario, and mario galaxy..again I was totally in to them when I first got them, but never looked back as I get more into "what I just bought". I know it's a shame because they are such great games, but for example in zelda I guess I'm lazy to go back because I really forgot where I'm at in the game, and what I need to do next. I remember back when I was a kid, it was always about "Did you beat the game!??!! it took me x amount of hours to beat it..blah blah". Obviously I know I'm the one at a loss because of what games cost these days, but I guess I just dont have it in me like I used too..

So, Do you guys complete all the games you purchase?

Back in the "old days," I used to beat everything. I just had to win stuff. :D Of course, I refer to NES, SNES, 1 or 2 N64 games, and 1 or 2 PS2 games. Now, I don't play any games that takes 8 months to win. I don't have that kind of time to dedicate.

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
I beat the games that I'm interested in (like Super Mario Galaxy) and I do so without using cheats... but funny thing, I go back to the original NES Mario from the '90s and it kicks my ass every time. :eek:

Aug 6, 2007
I always beat my games. I can't stand it when things are left incomplete.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
It depends if it has online capabilities. If it does, I practice on a few levels and then go online because it's more fun to play against real people. If not, I'll play it until I beat it.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I try, and usually get bored with the games. I have over 100+ PSone games, and 60+ PS2 games. I think I've beat like 10 of them altogether.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I have a decent amount of xbox games (about 10 or so). I have yet to beat any of them. I like the online play better. Heck, the only games I play now when I actually have the time are Battlefield 2 and Halo 3. Call of Duty 3 never seems to connect to games, otherwise I'd play that sucker instead of the other two. Halo 3...well, I've played it twice online. I don't like it all that much. Might even offer it up for trade or sale.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
I can't be bothered with online usually - only time I do multiplayer is when friends are round or at LANs, so beating games is the only thing I usually do

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Of the 100 or so games I buy each year on all formats, I complete around 5 % of them :eek: 50% I get halfway 25% a quarter of the way in 20% maybe an hour ?

Really quite pathetic in retrospect.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I finish every game I can on the hardest level I can, excluding driving games. I rarely buy games, and like to play them to the fullest.

On adventure games I usually get to 'The End' but it has to be good to get me to get all the extras.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I normally play about 30-50% through on my DS/PSP/GBA games unless they're spectacular. I always beat PC FPS games (which is just Valve, id and 3D Realms stuff) because they're usually well crafted.

I dunno if I'll ever 100% Galaxy but thats more to do with the very difficult later stars.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I beat all games. Especially those I buy for my PS3, since I payed for them, and the ought to be good :)

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
I feel like I'm wasting my time and money if I DON"T beat them, so I try to beat every game I buy. So far so good, there's really only 1 game I ever bought that I didn't fully beat.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I mainly try unlocking achievements as I go along finishing the games. Often I will get stuck and give up for a while before reading a walkthrough and trying again.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I've never really had consoles or handhelds... 'til I got a DS lite and a few games, didn't beat them all as I sold it all. And then had a Wii and since I'm so video game deprived, I stink at 'em. So I'd make the then boyfriend play 'em and beat them. :D I'd read walkthroughs and talk 'im through.

Now that I'm on my own and have a new Wii, I've yet to fully beat a game. Though that's my intention. :eek:

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I usually always finish most PC shooters since most are pretty short and entertaining all the way through except some games like STALKER and Halo PC which I found too boring to really complete. Other games I buy on PC like strategy games it really depends on the game, for example, I had no problems beating Command & Conquer games and Craft games but Rome Total War, despite its huge critical acclaim, just couldnt drive me to finish it.

On consoles and handhelds I only really finish games that I really like, I start playing some and just dont finish them because I dont have any interest in playing the game.

I only get 100% on spectacular games such as the Grand Theft Auto series of games or the Metroidvania-style Castlevania games.

I havent finished an RPG in a LONG time (well unless you count Pokemon), I guess I have lost interest on the genre though Mario & Luigi Partners in Time was pretty darn good on the DS I just havent finished it yet.

I would say on average I beat 50% of the games I buy

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
It really depends on the game for me...

For shooters, I try to complete the single player without resorting to any 'Easy' mode before going online. For instance, I played all the way through Halo 3 before starting multiplayer. But there really has to be a good story and a nice sense of progression for me to obsess over completing a game. So I'm much more likely to complete something like Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Tomb Raider: Legend, than I am a racing game or something like that.

I find that Xbox 360 games get a lot of re-playability from their Achievements -- so after completing a game I'll try to go back and pick up a respectable number of achievements (even if it does have me swearing at the screen... "Lara, stop @$%&ing falling off that $£@* ledge! Did you stick your hand in a tub of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter before entering the level or something!?!?")

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I beat most of all my N64 games, and out of the 3 I own for PS3 I'm getting there. I bear COD4 for the second time (this time on hard) last night and it was very satisfying. Even the bonus level at the end! (cough watch the entire credits cough)

Antares

macrumors 68000
Oh, I beat my games. But only sometimes....when they don't do what I say and I need to knock some sense into them. :)

I play games to the end but don't have the time to unlock all of the extras for 100% completion. I used to do that until maybe about 8 years ago. There's just no time for that anymore. I try to unlock/find everything as I go, however. But that doesn't always work out (I try not to use game guides). And once I beat the final boss/stage, I'm not likely to go back and continue looking for stuff. There's always another game that I need to get to.

A game like Mario Galaxy...I'll play to beat every level (all 120 stars). But that's different than trying to find all hidden items. I try to play games on a decent difficulty level, also, as I may not have the time to play through the entire game a second time.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
To say I beat games would be to do a grave injustice to the verb which most accurately describes the viscious assault which I lay down. I do not beat games anymore than Ivan Drago merely "beat" Apollo Creed. I pulverize them until they land face down upon the canvas, legs twitching and spasming, central nervous system mashed brutally into the bones that house it. Developers weep at the sight of the twisted wreckage and orphaned sequels I leave behind.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I complete my games, but I ONLY bother with the campaign stuff when I'm having trouble with my Internet.

So yeah, I kinda save it for the rainy day. I mean, why play against a machine when you can play against a bunch of friends online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.