Do YOU believe in "the one"???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MovieCutter, May 26, 2007.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

"He's the one" "She's the one" Do you believe it?

Personally, I think there's nearly 7 billion people on this planet and this whole "the one" thing is a pile of sh**, but I'm just curious what the consensus is.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i think i believe it. but sometimes i'm not so sure

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I do believe in it and I personally think I've found the one for me. :)

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Agreed. I believe in not settling though. And I have high standards. So that's almost like believing in "the one," which would explain a lot...

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't think there is just one "perfect" person for another. Funny though, this thread reminds me of an older one. :eek:

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm still saving myself for the world's first android hooker. Complete with life like emotions and gyroscopic vaginal muscles.

9. walangij macrumors 6502

x2

The notion of "the one" bothers me in that it, at least to me, it lends itself to the idea of pre-destination or fatalism. Personally I think that sure, there maybe "the one", but there are many in the world who can fit the description of "the one" for you.

10. fuzzwud macrumors regular

I believe it's a both/and situation and not one or the other. There is the one person for you, and at the same time, there is more than one. I think from a human perspective, it seems like there's so many "ones" out there. At the same time, I believe in a reality where God predetermined who that person is. We're not mindless drones. I believe that we have free will to make choices. And we shouldn't go around saying that person is "it" and not do anything to build a relationship because we really don't know the future. I still have to take time to get to know this person well and move towards that place where she may be the one. What do you all think?

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The question is, what is the one for me?

This is a hard question to answer. I would venture to say that many individuals feel that they have found the one for them, only later, after breaking up/divorce they find someone much better.

Sexual attraction is important for survival of the species. Unfortunately, sexual attraction for someone else does not equate to them being the one. Many times it just clouds our vision, which is why so many folks make the wrong partner decision these days.

12. fuzzwud macrumors regular

Maybe I can further clarify. There is no "the one" until that person becomes "the one." If I'm thinking about this girl that I like, I don't know whether she's "the one" because we're just friends right now. However, I intend to build the relationship and move towards a relationship that is deeper. (Fast Forward the relationship some). At some point, if God allows (meaning given the opportunity, circumstance, timing, I'm still interested and she expresses similar interest), we may want to "commit" to either an exclusive relationship and then marriage. For me, when the relationship is defined by marriage, I consider it "the one." However, "the one" seems to imply a destination which I don't believe marriage is. I believe that it is a commitment and a continual work in progress.

13. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Nope, I don't. It's overly romantic schmoopy nonsense in my book. :)

14. Jopling macrumors 6502

The whole "the one" thing is ********. I always thought love at first site was ******** too, until I experienced it myself and then was seperated forever after a day.

15. vniow macrumors G4

"The" one? I used to believe in it but I don't so much anymore. I don't think its very logical to think that there's only one single person out there that's the right one for you given as the OP said, there's several billion humans out there. It goes against all statistics really. I was kinda raised on the Disney notion that my prince/ess will come or whatever but I just don't buy it.

My take on it now is mostly there's not one right person for you, but some of those individuals you may never meet or the circumstances simply may not be right for chemistry to happen. When you do meet one of those people, the chemistry's there and you have the opportunity then why not go for it? You only live once...

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I don't believe that there is only one, but I do believe there are those out there better fit to become "the" one. Once you've accepted that there are plenty of "ones" out there that are compatable (life styles, beliefs, interests, personality, ethics, so on and so on), I think the quest to find "the" one is much less about fate or predestined futures, and moreso about your lives aligning themselves in order to make it happen - timing and location are key.

17. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I don't even believe in myself how can I believe in 'the one'.

I am 21 have no confidence, no friends, no 'life', nothing but me and my interests. Sometimes I really hate living in small towns. You have to compromise so much about yourself to 'fit in'.

18. walangij macrumors 6502

I agree. I think that this talk of "the one" really is stepping to far ahead. People talk about "the one" but there is no definition to describe it logically, mostly it seems that its just intuition, gut feeling and emotions. I mean, what is "the one"? Can it be defined? Truthfully, I think all talk about relationships is just about how willing you are to commit to whoever you meet and therefore make them your "one" if you decide.

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    OMG, I feel the EXACT same way. When I was reading your post I almost felt this instant, uncanny, kindred spiritual connection telling me this person was somehow destined to post this and for me to see it.

;)

20. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Me too :) :)

FJ

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You tell me if there's "the one". I've haven't been with a particular "one" for almost a year now, but every time I see her, I just feel at peace with myself. It's sad, I hate it, and I can't get over it.

22. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Go do something else. Serious, leave on an adventure. Make it a long one. Find yourself.

23. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Well, I personally of the mindset that there is no "one". I agree with the person that said there can be more than one person that fits that "one" mold. Although I believe we can sometimes connect with some people and not connect at all with others... sometimes 2 people are capable of connecting on a "deeper" level (I cringe in a way, saying that). And I think thats possible with more than one person. To quote Robin Williams from Good Will Hunting... its not about if she's perfect, but whether you're perfect for each other. May not be quoted 100% accurate, but you know what I mean :)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

25. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Maybe this is an individual thing? I do not think there is a 'one' for me. There have been three of them in my life. One died, one I had to leave, and I am married (20 years) to the other. Each has an indelible place in my heart and always will. I never let myself compare them. However, I have never been one to 'guard my feelings' or put up barriers to lock others out. So, it has always been easy to enjoy relationships, even all the ones which were not sustainable.