do you buy a new HD for time machine for every new OS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thewright1, Oct 18, 2011.

1. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Hey All,

I'm interested to know how everyone else deals with this situation. I have multiple macs, laptop, imac, and my wife has the same set up (business owners). We both have one hard drive per computer using time machine for back up. What do you all usually do when Apple comes out with a new OS, do you delete your current drive and re-use it? or do you hold on to it and buy a new one (incase for some reason you had to revert back to the previous version)? I'd think just erasing and re-using but i'm always nervous about doing that. What are you all doing?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I don't delete my Time Machine backup at all. When installing an updated OS, I have the ability to return to the previous version if everything dies. If I'm installing from scratch, after installing the new OS, I restore my Time Machine backup and continue from that point.

I'm not sure why you would want to erase your Time Machine backup... :confused:

3. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

Yeah that's my problem. I don't want to erase my backups. So let me ask you this, if I upgrade to Lion, Time machine will just continue to backup as usual even though it's now a different OS? Cause if that's the case, then I'm good to go.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it will continue to use the TM backup already made.

5. thewright1 thread starter macrumors regular

thewright1

Nice! thanks for the info you all!

6. simsaladimbamba

I forgot to add: Time Machine FAQ