Do you buy dual layer dvd-r or just single layer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by VoodooDaddy, Jun 7, 2007.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I never had bought dual layer before because frankly the cost is still too high for me. I remember when the first burnable dvd-rs came out, I bought a 25 pack for $50. This was several years ago. By contrast, I bought a 100 pack a month or 2 ago for $25.

I know dual layer discs have been out for a while, and they have come down in price, but they are still over $1 per disc. When is the price going to come down on these?

I did buy a pack of 15 yesterday. Frys had them for $20. I was curious to try them out. Work well, but pricey.

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Just single layer so far.
    I can get 100 for $20. But only 3 DL for $12
    hmmm does not take genius math to figure its not worth it. yet.
    I have also noticed some older computers cannot read DL discs.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I buy a few only when I need them, which is rare. Otherwise, I use single layers since they're so much cheaper. A spindle of 50 can be had for 10 or 15 bucks every now and then if you check the ads in the Sunday paper.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I only have a single-layer drive, so it's only SLs for me.

I would think the nice thing about DL discs is that you don't have to compress your DVD rips....

5. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

well thats why I wantd to go with DL. Typically I just rip the main feature, but even at that alot of times you need heavy compression to make it fit on a SL disc.

Well the other day I ripped something and it was about 7.5gb and I knew if I compressed it to a SL disc it would look like trash. So I got looking at bestbuy/circuitcity/officedepot websites for deals on DL discs and saw BB has a 20pack for 29.99.

I went out to get those at BB but ended up at Frys where they had a 15pk for 19.99, which I ended up getting.

Burned fine, took forever though. My xbox360 is my main dvd player (I know, I know). My toshiba dvd player died a while back and I never replaced it. Anyway, the 360 wouldnt play the disc, but the philips player in my bedroom did.

Im just curious as to why DL discs are still so much money? Hoping with burnable bluray DL discs will drop to a more reasonable price.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I still use single layer discs.

Why?
    - DL cost too much right now.
    - Not all players can play DL discs.
    - DVD2OneX compresses well enough for me.

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I bought memorex DL dvd-r about 5 to 6 months ago @ $32.00 for a quarter cake stack (25 pack) ...

8. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I use single layer disks because I find dual layer to be expensive and poor quality.

Even the good quality DL (which are certainly not the cheapest) are poor quality compared to a decent single layer disk.

Pay more and have unreliable storage, I think not!

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not 100% sure why they're still so expensive, but I would imagine it's because DL drives haven't reached that "critical mass" in the market yet. Their prices have steadily come down, though, so just keep waitin' and they'll get more inline with $1 a disc. I wouldn't expect them to go too much lower than that, though (I mean, they'll always have to command a premium over SL discs, I'd think).

10. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

single layer. No need for dual yet as DETOX compression is good.

11. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I can't find DLs in spindles around here, so I only use SLs...

12. nw43 macrumors regular

Never bought a DL disc.

Happy with SL due to cost and performance of compression when backing up DVDs using Toast.