Do you calibrate your laptop screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jan 23, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Just wondering, or do you use default settings?

2. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

I calibrated mine, but only to change the gamma setting from 1.8 to 2.2. Just a personal preference, I suppose.

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

No, never thought about it really, may do at some point but I see as more for the pro's?

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You'll see a huge difference changing the gamma to 2.2 and the white balance to 6500k. That's as far as I've gotten right now with calibrating it. My Samsung 2253BW monitor that I have it hooked up to looked horrible without calibration, and through some experimenting with settings, I've got a great profile. Taking a few minutes to calibrate a display makes it look much better, even if it's not professionally calibrated.

5. smokedog macrumors regular

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I don't think i could use any mac laptop display without calibrating it. An exception being the 12" PB G4. Great screen...colour wise out the box

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

First thing I do after checking out the new laptop. Using dedicated hardware/software (Eye One hardware / ColorDisplay Pro software) makes a world of difference in the color calibration.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed!
    I calibrate all my displays ... even the 20" display hooked up to a sh*ty windows laptop that belongs to my work!

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Ok, so how do you calibrate it using the control panel options only? Is it a case of fiddle until your eyes are happy?

10. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

Well, I would try flipping the gamma setting first. It's easy to use the System Preferences panel to create multiple profiles so you can find one that's to your liking.

11. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Calibrate 'em all. Turn the expert mode options on and lose the Apple!

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I use spyder 2 pro.

13. bay2sacto macrumors member

Not to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a good, affordable hardware calibrator? I use my MBP for print & web design. One under $300. Thanks

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I got a screen calibration file from a main thread about it and its great, way better then the original preset. search for that thread.
    The specific name of the file was "mbp late 08"

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The control panel is useless for getting accurate colors. You can get a hardware calibrator for around $200. It's a worthwhile investment since you can use it with every Mac you get.

16. esvee macrumors member

Absolutely, as was said the defaults are crap. The difference between calibrated and not is astounding.

SuperCal works as well as a software calibrator can, otherwise check out that pantone huey or the datacolor spyder for hardware solutions.