Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I was thinking about this this morning, remembering back to the school I used to go to when I was young where there were quite a few American kids... and almost all of them called their Dad 'Sir'.

Which I found quite weird at the time; it was the seventies, mind... Random thought for the day. :p

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I was thinking about this this morning, remembering back to the school I used to go to when I was young where there were quite a few American kids... and almost all of them called their Dad 'Sir'.

Which I found quite weird at the time; it was the seventies, mind... Random thought for the day. :p

i called him by his first name. which was weird. when i hear children calling the parents by their first names it always sounds very odd to me because i expect to hear "mum" and "dad".

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I was born in the early sixties, so I would have been about 14 or so at the time. The American kids at this particular school would have come from families that some ties to the military, diplomacy and the electronics industry.

Anyway, I'm glad many of you think it's weird too. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, military, sure. I hear it from children (who are children now) in certain parts of the country more than others. Like in parts of the South, and perhaps parts of the Northeast....

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I think calling your dad "sir" is recognizing him more as the "Commander-In-Chief" of the household, more of a traditional, antiquated role. So it makes sense that especially military families would keep this tradition.

It seems families that are more expressive with their feelings, more comfortable with each other and the like would not revert to using the name "sir." It may be "respectful," but seems too formal & robotic for people that are comfortable with expressing their emotions and feelings with all members of the household, regardless of their historic "role."

jabrowntx

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Don't really remember using "sir" prior to my time in the military. I was born in the early '60s too.

I know that sir is supposed to be a form of respect, but it just sounds so suck-up and phony to me. I only used it when I was in the military because I had to. I don't use sir at all anymore nor do I like it when people call me sir.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I never called my father sir but I call other people sir and ma'am all of the time. Just yesterday I was introduced to two people by their first names and while answering a question I said "yes sir, I have." He didn't mind it at all being in the Navy I presume he's accustomed to that, but everyone else kind of laughed. At the end of the night I thanked them and called them by their last name (Mr. and Mrs.) and that drew more laughter. It's just a thing. I call professors Dr. or Professor despite most of them correct me and say their first names. But no, I've never called my dad sir unless I was being a jerk and trying to piss him off.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
I was born in the early sixties, so I would have been about 14 or so at the time. The American kids at this particular school would have come from families that some ties to the military, diplomacy and the electronics industry.

Anyway, I'm glad many of you think it's weird too. ;)

I grew up in a military family and it was unheard of for a Brit kid to call their Dad sir. Didn't see it either when we lived in Australia.

I did see it in Yorkshire however. We lived near the "Golfballs" at Menwith Hill - run by the Yanks who were stationed near us. Even the guys whose dads weren't military (NSA primarily) called them Sir.

Well weird :p

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I've never called them dad or mom. I call my mother by her name, and my father by a diminutive of his name, FWIW.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
I call mine ye oldus gittus (the old git), which is swiftly followed by a "V" sign from him.

At no point would I call him sir. He'd think I was off my rocker.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Always Dad. Teachers were always Mr. or Mrs. or (as was just coming into vogue then, Ms.)

Would feel pretty funny calling my parents by their first names. I met a father of a childhood friend at the gym, and it was weird calling him "Dave" rather than "Mr. Jones".

On the other hand, I am comfortable going on a first name basis with clients almost immediately, if they offer theirs.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I always think it's hilarious hearing American kids call their own dads "Sir".

I call my dad by his name. Always have done.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
If my father ask a question I respond by saying "Yes sir, no sir" as old as I am I still do it....never called him sir right out the blue though.
I don't think I've ever called my father/mother by first name.

Bless

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
"Bah-bah" Chinese for "dad" I s'pose.

"Daddy" or "Bah-bee" if I want something. ;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I call my father by his first name, it pisses him off but I do it anyway as it feels ~really~ weird to call him dad.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Army brat here.

I can't remember if I used "dad" or "sir" more as I just grew up being taught to use "sir" or "ma'am." I still use "sir", "ma'am" or "miss" a today when I'm talking w/people I don't know very well or when I'm in a "formal" situation. The first time I met my gf's dad he asked me a question (like "how was the flight" or something) and I ended my response w/"sir" and that got a laugh out of the whole car.:eek:

Better to be seen as polite rather than rude, IMO.

Lethal

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I always think it's hilarious hearing American kids call their own dads "Sir".

Those people are certainly a slim niche minority (and probably military, where the dad just likes being called sir). 90% of Americans call their parents 'mom' and 'dad'.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
We're not a military family, so no.

He's dad in conversation, 'Father' on my phone (I try to make it sound posh so if I lose my phone then they might think I'd pay a hefty reward if found!).

I call my mum and my grandad by their Polish names, and used to call my great-grandma by her Welsh name. Nine, or something.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
If I did call my dad 'sir' he would start wondering what/whom in Florida started to corrupt my mind.

I have been called sir on the phone and by gate people at the theme parks which always gets me in a weird way.

I would never have any child call me sir.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I cant ever imagine calling my parents by their first name. I used to call my father abu or baba. I call my mother mom or mommy. I say yes sir and no sir to other people older than me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.