Do you care about actual usage or fake benchmarks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timmciglobal, Jun 12, 2008.

1. timmciglobal macrumors member

Hi All,

I've read quite a few threads on this board and others already on the topic of the 3G data speed and the GPS being A vs just GPS and I ask you this:

Do you care about tech specs or actual usage?

You know what I care about?

That per the keynote a web page will load nearly as fast over 3G as over Wifi. I don't care if that means it's 200 kbits, 400 kbits, 1.4 mbits etc...

I care that GPS has the ability to track you turn by turn as shown on google maps.

Do I care from an intellectual standpoint what version of chip and what maximum speed? Sure, it's interesting to talk about but what I REALLY care about is performance on the ground. A 900 horse power car without the ability to apply that horsepower and translate it into a controllable fast car is just a giant engine spinning it's wheels.

What do you care about?

Tim

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:confused: eh?

Apple have the latest 3G kit in the phone now, and arguably the best type of GPS receiver.

If the infrastructure that this hardware utilises (which is out of Apples control) isn't up to the job can hardly be blamed on them.

Anyone who answers they favour benchmarks in idealistic situations over actual real world experience is plainly crazy since for the most part they're totally irrelevant. That said it's important to know what the tech in the phone is capable of, and that if it's not delivering on this it's the fault of the infrastructure rather than the device.

Performance will naturally vary by probably wide margins depending on your location and local environment.

What are you trying to get at here? :confused:

3. timmciglobal thread starter macrumors member

Simply put that people are bitching for no reason.

If it's near the speed of wifi browsing and you LOVED wifi browing and you hated edge slowness and the "3g" is x kbits/sec who cares.

Honestly, this entire forum you'd think no one liked the 2g iphone that the 3g one was such a disaster for only being 2.5>4 times faster.

Tim

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ ah ok, I see.

You're right. Of course that won't matter, those same group of people can now complain about the plastic back even though network connectivity has been brought up to par. do'h! :rolleyes:

5. Stardotboy macrumors regular

I think that sentiment is a little unfair.

In the absence of real 3G iPhones that people can play with, it's currently very hard to assess how much faster it will really be compared to edge. Speaking from a UK perspective, I have concerns that the current edge speed I get is very good, and the 3G data speeds on the network here are relatively slow. So it's all well and good listening to Jobs telling us how many times faster it is, but that probably won't translate into anything that resembles the difference between edge and 3g data speeds here.

So it's not entirely surprising that people will play with numbers and try and guess how significant the change will really be - clearly the issue of data speed is very important to a lot of people that may be considering upgrading their original iPhone.