Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you care if the next iPhone is thinner than the 4S?

• Yes

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • No

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 45 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thin phones only impress people with tiny hands and tiny skinny jean pockets.

I don't need to worry about breaking my phone because it's so damn thin. There's a point where that crap should stop.

Agreed. I don't want it to feel fragile. Also, a thicker phone as more room for a bigger battery. Never enough battery life. Never... I am happy with the battery life now, but I never like having it under 30% cuz what if ****** happens?

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Yea, that is what I meant, I typed it thinking that. I should have put "Dont care either way"

or said "Do you want the next iPhone to be thinner?"

So this poll, as unscientific as it is, is completely flawed? I answered no, as in:

Question: Do you care if the next iPhone is thinner?
Answer: No.

So essentially the "No" votes can't be relied upon?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I am just curious to see how everyone feels about this?

I do not think it needs to be. There is a point where going thinner makes them feel more fragile. Most people use a case anyway, especially after AntennaGate.

I wouldn't mind if it was thinner. Although, one of the rumors this week is that the next iPhone may feature a new thinner screen technology. If this is true, this means more room inside the phone. More room inside the phone? More room for a bigger battery (as well as other new features too obviously)

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
No.

I would prefer more battery life than a thinner phone.

In other words, if they needed the space to fit a larger size battery with more power in then I would opt for that option over some thin sissy phone.

Thanx.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I simply want the next iPhone to exceed my expectations ,which is what all manufacturers should strive for !

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you care if the next iPhone is thinner?
It would be gravy but it's not a dealbreaker. I don't really see an appropriate response with this poll.

There is a point where going thinner makes them feel more fragile.
Not necessarily. Thin and fragile are two entirely different things. If you lump them together then that's your issue.

Most people use a case anyway, especially after AntennaGate.
Citation?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
the main reason i would want it to be thinner is b.c it leaves a square impression in my pants. Not that being thinner won't do this, but will take much longer to do :p

----------

Citation?

while i use mine naked...i would definitely say more people use a case...by a long shot

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
Keep the iPhone 4S thickness and pack in more battery.

definitely more battery. New features are going to use more energy and the iP4 is a good size for the pocket, general usage, and picture taking. All these reports about the in-plane touch panel making the screen thinner makes me think that the new iPhone will be thinner than the current. I would like a bit of a curve to the entire phone if it's going to be a long slender design. I really hope they have a new sleek design for this year, might just keep using my iP4 until it breaks.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Citation?

When I see people using an iPhone 4/4S, I would say 4 out of 5 of them have a case on their phone. I change my phone case often because (1) I like the case to be in good shape, (2) just to change it up sometimes, and (3) I have an otterbox case when I travel for work (I am a Structural Engineer, so I like to have the stronger case when I am on job sites, but I don't like the case for day to day use)

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
If anything they should keep it the same depth that it is now and since the design will be larger to fit the bigger display, increase the battery capacity by a substancial amount. Just my thought.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So this poll, as unscientific as it is, is completely flawed? I answered no, as in:

Question: Do you care if the next iPhone is thinner?
Answer: No.

So essentially the "No" votes can't be relied upon?

Wow, no need to attack me about it... If I could have edited the poll, I would have (and I noticed it before anyone even answered). I originally meant the third option to say "Don't care either way"

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Will I have to pay a premium for the use I give it so that people who need hours of battery time are subsidized? Apple will give us a good phone, but it depends on the carriers to make it worthwhile or not.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I don't know why are people opting for a no or a 'i don't care' because it doesn't hurt having a thinner chasis.
A thinner chasis, if Apple designs it right, will not hurt battery life. One example of this is the Droid Razr Maxx which was had a huge battery bump (1780 to 3300 mAh) compared to the Droid Razr. The Droid Razr had a razer thin profile (like the name goes), and the Razr Maxx had a slightly thicker profile but can still be considered as very thin . (8.99mm from 7.1mm) This is all due to the high density battery they decided to put in.

Furthermore, the new iPhone is slated to have a much 'longer' screen, which means there is more space in the internals to place more parts especially the battery. They could make the battery thinner yet 'longer' to accomodate the 'longer' size of the phone and yet achieve a higher capacity to retain the iPhone's long battery life because of its size, not thickness.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Nope. Just hope the screen is taller AND wider by just a little bit

A wider phone would is more uncomfortable to hold and just a less elegant form in general. Big screens are nice but at some point it loses practicality as a phone.

Sure, you could go "slightly" wider without making the phone wider by shrinking the bezel, but that means a lot of hassle for developers for the sake of just a few pixels.

A taller, thinner phone is the best solution. I think Apple have got it right here.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Wow, no need to attack me about it... If I could have edited the poll, I would have (and I noticed it before anyone even answered). I originally meant the third option to say "Don't care either way"

Not attacking you.

IO01

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I voted "No," which means "I wouldn't mind if the new iPhone has the same thickness, as long as that means a larger battery."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.