Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Usually I just use my 4S. If I plan on a lot of pictures I'll bring along my DSLR, but the iPhone is more convenient and good enough that I have no need for a Point and Shoot.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I prefer the bulk of an actual camera if I am going out with the sole purpose of taking pics.

These iP5s are great, but they are so thin that when in crowded areas im worried ill get a nudge and drop the damn thing.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I don't really think it's necessary to be honest. In the right conditions, the 4S takes great pictures and the camera activates quite fast when you need it. I used it exclusively for still shots last year when on holiday (I carried a HD camcorder for video, and my brother had an SLR for the family album stuff).

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 82

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I don't really think it's necessary to be honest. In the right conditions, the 4S takes great pictures and the camera activates quite fast when you need it. I used it exclusively for still shots last year when on holiday (I carried a HD camcorder for video, and my brother had an SLR for the family album stuff).

You really took those?!

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Not every day but when the weather is nice I'll take one or two of my three cameras: a Canon 30D, a Holga 135 or Diana F+.

The iPhone can't really replace the Holga or Diana though.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I am a photography nut, so I carry a camera. The iPhone 5 camera, while good by point-and-shoot standards, is not sufficient for me. When I travel, I cary a big, fast DSLR, a 24-70/2.8, and a 50 prime (minimum). The iPhone is only for snapping a quick shot to share.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I'm using a Canon 550D with appropriate lenses, and while the iPhone camera is decent, it's not comparable.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I carry a Sony NEX-5N with the kit zoom and wide-angle pancake lens. You just cannot match the colour/depth/sharpness/clarity of a large sensor camera compared to an iPhone.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You really took those?!
They look pretty good for a phone. The biggest key with any camera is to hold still.

What is your intent? Snapshots? Family memories? Improving the noise and dynamic range with a larger sensor? Improving detail with bigger lens?

Does it need to fit in your pocket? Would an SLR be too bulky? It is for many, even those that own them sometimes. Price issues?

This site is pretty good for research, trusting opinions from random people on the net is tricky. We could be perfectly correct, or perfectly wrong. Personally, I have an SLR, but seldom pull it out, anymore. The phone is usually enough. The small camera I bought was in the middle, like the Canon Powershot series. I find the slightly larger compacts, like the Powershot, to be a great compromise. But they still don't fit in pockets very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.