Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Used to for a while, but haven't for years now.

Will be getting a new knife soon, 'cause last one is in quite a bit of disrepair. Would like to get this. But will probably get this.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Does this count?

Attachments

• CR-6783K.jpg
    CR-6783K.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 407

Qwertylizer

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
Europe
As far as you use your knives for self-defence, everything is cool. It's just scary that people carry knives around with them at the streets. You don't know when somebody decides to stab you. Every day there's at least one piece of news where somebody is being stabbed.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Anyone else find it odd that the link posted in the Original Post was priced.. a little random?

List Price: $17.50-$150.00
Price: $3.20 - $140.00
Sale: $12.25 - $113.78 on selected colors & sizes

Since when does a sale mean more expensive base price? :p

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
Anyone else find it odd that the link posted in the Original Post was priced.. a little random?

Since when does a sale mean more expensive base price? :p

There are a lot of variations of the Swiss Army Knife~sorta ranges from "mini" to "Pro":D

I yeah I always have one~usually a Gerber..

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Does this count?

CRKT makes nice knives and tools. I've been using this for a while:

m16_12m.jpg

Mostly used for digging holes, prying stuff, cutting lines, occasional sausage and block of cheese. I like the little finger guard b/c I'm pretty clumsy. I've been thinking about dumping it because it's got that overtly military look.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
I keep a Pink Swiss Army knife with me. Usually for the scissors and nail file.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I usually have an original Leatherman PST in my back pocket and / or a Mini Swiss Champ on a keyring.
I used to carry a lock-knife but then I found out it was illegal to carry in the UK. The law here is you can carry a non locking folder with blade of three inches without giving a good reason. If you carry anything bigger, or with a locking or fixed blade you need to have a good reason for it. My folding lock blades were less than 3 inches and I thought a good reason for having a locking blade was so the blade doesn't shut on my fingers, but then I found out that wasn't a good legal reason, so the lock blades stay at home. Quite like the look of the Spyerderco UKPK but it is a bit pricey.
My leatherman has stood up to over 10 years of use and abuse.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
This knife has gone almost everywhere with me since I was 11. I feel like I'm missing a limb if I ever forget it, so incredibly useful.

The blades need sharpening, and the spring on the scissors gave up some 10 years ago, but I'll never get rid :cool:

However, I can't understand why so many people find it necessary to to carry around a flip out type knife, I can't imagine many situations where one would be useful...

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 75

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
This knife has gone almost everywhere with me since I was 11. I feel like I'm missing a limb if I ever forget it, so incredibly useful.

That's the other thing. Remember when it was normal for a boy to carry a small pocketknife?

However, I can't understand why so many people find it necessary to to carry around a flip out type knife, I can't imagine many situations where one would be useful...

I think it depends on how organized you are. I'm the kind of guy who tries not to think ahead too much and I'm always ending up in situations where I'm holding something and THEN need the tool. For this reason, I prefer the one handed opening Gerber multitools. :)

The other thing is that most of "flip out knives," as you call them, have locking blades, which is a huge safety advantage over the old style pocket knives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.