Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are your AirPods part of your Everyday Carry?

• Total voters

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I've had my AirPods since just before Christmas last year. I've used them every day with no problem.

Then today they kept cutting out. I tried everything I could to resolve the problem, including multiple iPhone resets. Eventually, they just refused to produce sound at all, even though the iPhone claimed they were doing so.

I strongly suspected popping them in their case would resolve the problem, but I never carry it with me.

When I got home, I put them in their case for about two seconds and they returned to full functionality.

Lesson learned -- I'll carry the case with me now.

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
I have my case with me, in my pocket. I'm on the phone a lot and one pod won't last all day, I only use them for the phone. I just swap it out at 1 o clock or so with the other one.
I haven't had any issues with them as of yet but good to know.

downtherabbithole

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Bluetooth's funny like that - almost as if you need to 'reset' it sometimes. I've had difficulty connecting earphones to a different device without turning them off first but you would hope that wouldn't happen with the premium you're paying for W1.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've had my AirPods since just before Christmas last year. I've used them every day with no problem.

Then today they kept cutting out. I tried everything I could to resolve the problem, including multiple iPhone resets. Eventually, they just refused to produce sound at all, even though the iPhone claimed they were doing so.

I strongly suspected popping them in their case would resolve the problem, but I never carry it with me.

When I got home, I put them in their case for about two seconds and they returned to full functionality.

Lesson learned -- I'll carry the case with me now.

Honestly, the case is just nice to have in general for carrying obviously and I love how the Airpods conveniently magnetically snap into place in the case, to prevent any accidental loss of the Airpods.

Reactions: Hitrate

Droidzoid

Suspended
Mar 30, 2014
Honestly, the case is just nice to have in general for carrying obviously and I love how the Airpods conveniently magnetically snap into place in the case, to prevent any accidental loss of the Airpods.

Side note : trying to PM you but the privacy settings wont allow me.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Always in may back pocket, it bothers me in my front pocket, but never bothers me in my right check pocket lol

appleish19

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014
They are with me on a daily basis in my right front pocket with my 7+. Love having completely wireless headphones with ~24 battery life w/ case in such a small package.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I don't leave the house with the Airpods but without the case. It doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

Well it did to me!

I wear my AirPods when I'm walking the dog. I put them in just before I leave the house and they stay in till I get back home an hour later.

Up to now, this has worked out fine!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
yes, if i have my bag with me - the case is always there, inside the small pocket.

no, if i dont carry my bag (e.g. when running, walking with the dog or so).

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Going to the store a block away I leave the case at home. For anything else the case comes with me. If you need to take the pods out for any reason and you don't have the case it isn't very convenient. I am also somewhat obsessed with keeping them charged.

So for me the case protects them, makes them more easy to handle and ensures a full charge. Like others have said it never occurred to me to not take the case with me.

Reactions: Hitrate

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
OK, these are the specs.

But what I was wondering was, if the people don't bring their cases along and just carry the Airpods as they are, how long does the battery last in standby. It's 5 hours of continonus use, but is it enough for 14 hours of standby + 2-3 hours of listening? (some kind of ordinary day)

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
OK, these are the specs.

But what I was wondering was, if the people don't bring their cases along and just carry the Airpods as they are, how long does the battery last in standby. It's 5 hours of continonus use, but is it enough for 14 hours of standby + 2-3 hours of listening? (some kind of ordinary day)

What's considered "Ordinary?" I don't know if anyone that does not carry the case with their AirPods. Mainly because they serve as a charging unit and a portable case to stow them in for protection/loss. So I can't speak to any experiences regarding that.

And standby time is would greatly rely on the Bluetooth signal and the distance you would be away from your iPhone. If you were looking for more specific numbers regarding that, I don't think you're going to find anyone they can concretely give you a well rounded balance of standby time. It's likely going to be variable based on the user.

The longest I have gone on standby time with mine, without any usage, has been over seven hours and my battery was approximately 73%. That said, my iPhone was within a few feet of my AirPods and there was no calls or usage being used with the AirPods during that time.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Kept mine in the little 'key' pocket on my jeans until it decided to pop out whilst walking down the road, the pocket was probably just a little too small and the case worked it's way up.
It fell on the pavement and the AirPods fell out, luckily the case took the brunt of the fall, with a few scratches and chips but nothing major, the AirPods are fine, probably due to them only coming out after the initial impact and being quite close to the ground by then.
Lesson learned!

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Always. I tried just putting the pods in my pocket, and they were hard to find along with loose change etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.