Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
as above......... Will it cause the battery to degrade faster with the heat trapped?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never take my case off, I don't find the heat to be an issue.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
If I had to charge my iPad with the case off, the case would never be on. I seem to have it on the charger more than off.

I think my iPad2 had a much longer battery life, but Air 2 is too new (3 days) to be certain. I use mine in the car for work, and GPS does use a lot of battery juice, but after two days use in the car, I think the Air 2 battery drains twice as fast as my old one did. My point being, I need the case on, and I need it plugged in whenever possible too.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Definitely ON. My Kavaj case is relatively easy to remove, however my Air never gets so hot while charging that I am ever concerned.

I also agree with poster above: if I had to remove my case for charging, I would not have a case on in the first place.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
as above......... Will it cause the battery to degrade faster with the heat trapped?

First time I think about that :eek:
I'm using Apple's smart case (expensive as hell but cute) and charge it with the case. It doesn't heat up much during charging btw.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes, but I will admit that I usually turn it back up (face down) so that the heat from recharging has a slightly better chance to dissipate. I'm sure it has a bigger effect on my head than it does on the battery, though. ;)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Never.

When charging, I remove the case and place the iPad in a cool bath. The toughest part is finding a lightning cable long enough to reach the middle of the tub.

BJ

Sprintina

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
No for both my iPads (& the mini has a smart cover not a case). That's why most cases have cut-outs for the charging cables.

I expect if someone is doing heavy gaming, then that might be a reason to take the case off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.