Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I don't think the battery that is used is like the older ones where the battery would worsen if you charged it at random times through the day. I do think that leaving it on the charger for days might hurt the battery though.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I wear my watch all day and when I go to bed because I use the silent vibrate alarm. I then charge it in the morning when I'm getting ready.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
Slightly off topic but I do charge mine irregularly; I'm wondering what's the easiest way to tell if it's fully charged. As far as I can tell it just says "Charging 100%" on the battery glance.

There's no "Charged" or change in the lightning icon?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Slightly off topic but I do charge mine irregularly; I'm wondering what's the easiest way to tell if it's fully charged. As far as I can tell it just says "Charging 100%" on the battery glance.

There's no "Charged" or change in the lightning icon?

Switch to a watch face with battery set as a complication? It certainly isn't ideal but you're right. It doesn't say when it's charged.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I see a some people on here questioning whether or not to charge a partially depleted batter all night when it will be fully charged in an hour or so.

The best answer for the :apple: watch is that it uses a smart charger. When the battery reaches 100% it no longer charges, and for the rest of the night it will only accept what charge it needs to stay at 100%. The battery is not damaged or weakened in any way by the practice of partial charging.

This is assuming you will be using the charger that came with your watch, or, when they come out, :apple: approved 3rd party chargers. Cheap knockoffs that will eventually found on Amazon or CL may indeed damage your watch.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I don't think much about it. I charge it when it needs to. Right now my watch is at 87% battery, and been using it 50 minutes with 7 hours in standby. So could easily use it for a couple of days without charging.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Every night I have a charging regimen where my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch all charge on my nightstand. When I wake up, I get ready and dressed, I unplug my iPad and throw it into my bag, iPhone goes in my pocket, and Apple Watch on wrist.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, I don't want to worry about it or even think about it during the day so watch and phone get charged every night regardless of how much battery is left.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I wear my watch all day and when I go to bed because I use the silent vibrate alarm. I then charge it in the morning when I'm getting ready.

I was thinking of doing something like this when I get mine or maybe during my commute.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Apple has designed the thing for you to just plug it in each night. There's no need to be stressing about how much remaining charge is optimal, or any of that.

Grumpy-bear

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
i actually sleep with mine on since i wake up at 6am for gym every morning and dont want to wake up my prego wife. I use mine, like my previous fitbit, for silent alarm.

I just end up charging mine while at my desk during work for an hour or so whenever needed. If i see it below 50%, i just put it on charge till i am back at 85% or higher and go on with my day.

Is the alarm strong enough to wake you? I always found my fit bit ineffective. Maybe I'm just a deep sleeper but I'm hoping the watch will have a stronger vibration then the fitbit did?

----------

It's been over a week now, and I've discovered that a full day of use with my Watch (42mm Space Grey Sport) only depletes my battery down to 50-60%, taking my watch off the charger at 9am and wearing it until 11pm or so in the evenings.

Is it good practice to charge it overnight anyway, or let it deplete down once in a while? Twice now I've let it run through the night and it will last me a good day and a half before finally running out of juice.

What are your charging habits so far?

How do you find your iPhone battery performing now that you're using your watch? I'm getting really fed up of having no battery most days on my iPhone and that's even without me having started using the watch so very worried about that!

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
How do you find your iPhone battery performing now that you're using your watch? I'm getting really fed up of having no battery most days on my iPhone and that's even without me having started using the watch so very worried about that!

Honestly I haven't seen a significant difference in my phone battery level when I plug it in each night, maybe 5-10% less than usual. I've been consciously trying to rely more on the watch lately for lesser tasks rather than continue defaulting to using my phone, and so I like to think my phone usage is down which helps negate any extra battery drain from the constant pairing.

The big difference has been that I never used to have bluetooth on and now it's on all the time, so perhaps that has contributed more to the battery depleting faster too.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Yes I charged mine nightly every night. That worked out quite well.

However I must say I don't miss it now that I returned it, one less tech device to maintain, my iP6.Plus with its squint free display is so much nicer...#

People tend to forget its only an accessory not a stand alone. And for a stand alone 1st generation its really good and has different uses for different people.
It's not for everybody nor is it intended to be. And as an accessory its a convenience not something you would miss.

Prattdizzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
NSW Australia
I charge my apple watch each morning when I wake up and pull it off the charger as I walk out the door and it is always at 100% by then. My watch has usually run down to about 20% by that time. Perfect really as wearing a watch during my morning routine isn't a good idea as I am usually feeding animals and opening cages.

Pretty awesome if you ask me. I have the SS BSB 42mm

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I sleep with it for half the night...and when my youngest comes to sleep in the bed with us around 2am I get up and charge it. I like the hr tracking at night.

Grumpy-bear

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Honestly I haven't seen a significant difference in my phone battery level when I plug it in each night, maybe 5-10% less than usual. I've been consciously trying to rely more on the watch lately for lesser tasks rather than continue defaulting to using my phone, and so I like to think my phone usage is down which helps negate any extra battery drain from the constant pairing.

The big difference has been that I never used to have bluetooth on and now it's on all the time, so perhaps that has contributed more to the battery depleting faster too.

Thanks, I agree the permanent Bluetooth does drain the iPhone but other than that, it hasn't changed the overall depletion too much. That said I used apple maps the other day to find a location I was walking to, and my watch was almost in hibernation by the time I got there! Can't have been more than 15 minutes of a walk and I'm sure I had 50% odd percent of battery before I started. :confused:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Good to know, so it still having 1 50-60% charge is no problem. I remember back in the day that meant the battery would "forget" certain charge cycles, but if that's not the case here then I'm set!

"Back in the day" no longer applies. Just use your watch and enjoy it and charge while you are sleeping. You will get so many opinions on this.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yep, just because I'm not using it. It'd be different if I slept with it on.

It charges SO quick, though. I could actually charge it in the morning while I get ready for work, and it would still make it to 100% full.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I wear mine at night. I've adopted a charging strategy that seems to work very well!

An hour or two before I go to bed, I stick it on the charger so it can charge fully. I take it off before I go to sleep; while I'm in bed, it generally falls to between 70-80. In the morning, I put it back on the charger while I wake up and get ready. By the time I'm done, it's back at 100! I wear it all day, rinse and repeat. It generally ends a full day when I put it on the charger in the evening around 40-50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.