Do you close down apps on your iphone x?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Nov 7, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I've noticed due to how the multitasking is on the x compared to the 7 plus i tend to leave apps not closed in the background due to the way you have to close them. Anybody find the same?

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I leave them open and I actually use multitasking now. Never did before.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

They did make it a bit more tedious to close the background apps.

4. Mad4clay macrumors 6502

My husband always gets on me about not closing my apps down. I figure there really is no need to do it, so why bother.

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I was never a "close all the apps once i'm done" kind of person. though I didn't use multitask a lot. now i leave them open and use it often. i'll close them at the end of the day. it does take a little more to close them whereas before it was effortless.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

I think it's made me use it more which i guess is a good thing as before it was far easier to close down apps

7. cakebytheocean macrumors regular

The only extra step now is having to hold down one of the apps to get the red removal icons you can still swipe away the apps after that.

I've also found that if you tap and hold an app you plan to close you can tap>hold>wait for the red icon>swipe in one action as opposed to tap>hold>wait for red icon> then lift your finger/thumb to press the red icon or swipe.

8. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

10. MrAperture macrumors regular

MrAperture

iOS is pretty damn efficient at handling apps that I barely even bother now.

11. cakebytheocean macrumors regular

I tend to leave the apps I access most often open in multitasking like whatsapp, facebook,instagram, linkedin, inbox but i swipe away intensive apps like games once Im done with them...

Do any of you folks leave games and intensive apps open?

12. Avenger macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would assume unless there is some background processing, the apps probably page out of memory. Or maybe "page" is an archaic multitasking term. I'm not up on recent developments.

13. mark34 macrumors 6502a

There is no reason to close apps. I never ever close apps, unless there is some sort of problem which is exceedingly rare. Set your background permissions appropriately and just live your life without worry about your "open" apps.

14. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I know - personally it was effortless before.

15. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I've definitely been closing apps less often because it takes just a bit longer to force close them. Only been doing it when the app has been giving me problems.

16. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Yep, I tend to close the background tasks every so often - they don't take many cycles, but they do take some.

Holding the finger on one of the apps, then flicking them all away once active is pretty quick, but they should have left the behaviour the same as it was - just allow them to be closed with a flick without having to do a long press first.

17. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I close my banking app - who knows why I've logged out of it.
    I also have noticed that even though I have background app refresh turned off the Apple News app is sometime listed in the Battery section of settings with a high percent and it says background activity so I so times shut that down also.

18. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I almost never force-closed apps before, no reason to do it now.

The only time I'd force close an app is if the app is buggy and I need to cycle it. Other than that, there's no need.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

My thinking is Apple intentionally added an additional step to discourage this behavior since it's long been known that closing down all apps and having to reopen them uses more processor power than leaving it inactive in the app switcher.

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I completely agree with you. They finally decided "enough of this garbage - iOS is not like Android" and "it's time to train people to stop doing this".

It's completely unnecessary unless an app has frozen or malfunctioned in some way.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I think they primarily did it so that people wouldn't accidentally close an app as they enter the app switcher.

22. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

The only apps that I close down are the ones that run in the background while I am not using them; navigation, etc.

I only do that to prevent excess battery usage from GPS tracking. There's not really a reason to close your apps otherwise; iOS does an amazing job of handling background processes.

23. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

So Apple is training us not to close apps and to not look at the numeric battery percentage. I see.

24. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

People's obsession over the battery percentage can be a little ridiculous. Much like when the new MacBook Pro was launched, everyone cried foul about how terrible battery life was. When they removed the time remaining indicator and everyone quit obsessing over every little percentage the complaints went away. It's easy to look at the battery level and get a decent idea of how much you have left. Just use the phone and enjoy it...

I find that I don't even think about battery life without the percentage indicator up there.

25. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I never close apps on any iPhone, unless an app has froze or something and needs to be force closed. And my phones always run perfectly smooth.

Do your battery a favor. Don’t “close” all apps. Removing them from their static state in memory (yes, they’re not actually doing anything) causes the phone to do more work next time you open it, since it has to fetch all of the assets from scratch.

Don’t worry about leaving apps open. Your phone knows how to handle it.