Do you close the door when home alone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by j/k/Andy, Jul 10, 2007.

?

Do you close the door when home alone?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yup, I dunno I guess it's a habit.

My bathroom is directly connected to my room. Even if the door to my room is shut and locked I still shut and lock my bathroom door when using it.

Edit: Pretty much all the exterior doors to my house are locked at all times. The door to the garage is never locked- the garage is the main entrance way. Nobody every actually ever uses the actual front door. So basically just if the garage doors are shut the house is locked.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

No. There's really no need to. But I'm different with actually every door other than the bathroom! If I'm home alone, every entrance door is shut and locked, and if I'm in say my bedroom, I'll close the door.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yup. Closing and locking the door is one swift motion with our bathroom's doorknob. It's muscle memory for me. :)

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I always leave my bathroom door open. But this is also because my bathroom measures about 3'x5' including the shower. If it was bigger maybe things would be different.

The door to outside I always keep closed, especially because people wait in front of it sometimes for the bus, or try to get in thinking they are at the accountants next door.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sometimes. :eek: Really just depends. If I know gardeners will be around, I'll close the door in the off chance they can look in. Heh.

But otherwise, I'll leave the door cracked open... What? The cats like to wander in and out.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

What happens in the bathroom stays in the bathroom.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I always find this question interesting.

What constitutes a bathroom?

In the states, typically there is a sink, toilet and shower/bath in one room with a door.

In Korea, Japan, and other Asian nations, the toilet is in it's own room, with a door. And in another room, there is the sink, laundry machine (maybe -- sometimes they are on the outside of the house/apartment), and a door to the shower/bath area.

If you are referring to the toilet area, then door shut but not locked and the fan on.

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

No

Cat needs to get in to use litterbox

When guest are over then I close door, with cat inside.

When its family door can be closed - depending on what doing but NEVER locked, too many medical issues and past emergencies to do that.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes.

Always.

With the fan on. If there's no fan, some other means of noise making, like the sink. If I could have a house with an acoustically-isolated and separately ventilated bathroom, I'd be in heaven. I'd love a home with a toilet/sink "powder room" for each family member and a few for guests. Bathrooms shouldn't need to be shared. ;)

So I agree: what happens in the bathroom... stays in the bathroom.

And I need reading material or I'd go insane.

Or perhaps I already have.

12. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

That's what the iPhone is for :p

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

14. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I usually close the door. Even though there's no risk of being seen by the gardener or whomever since I'm on a higher floor, I just do it out of habit.

15. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Never...2 out of 4 bathrooms in my house open on hallways. I kind of like being in a large open space. :D

No reason to lock in the fumes, either.

17. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Yes I always close the door, though I never lock it. Ill probably still close the door even when I'm living on my own this fall -- it's just a habit, I guess.

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

even when i'm not home alone, i normally don't close the bathroom door.

19. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Sometimes. I usually don't pay attention. I'd say I don't close it more than I do close it.

20. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wide open when no one's home. I have music blaring alot of the time when no one's home so I keep the door open to hear the music.

21. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Strange enough question that I never thought about it.

Of course the answer is yes.

22. RacerX macrumors 65832

Actually... we hang towels on our bathroom door, so it is almost never closed. Having spent most of the last 20 years or so with just two people, neither of whom were all that modest, it has never been a priority.

:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I'm very aware of closing and locking the door when away from home. :eek:

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes.

Otherwise, my cat or 2 dogs would have come upstairs to see what all that noise was.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, I was wondering this myself and if I was alone in my decision. I had a shower once with the bathroom door open and it just put me at unease and kept thinking about the bloody door. Stupid thing. I think got out of the shower dripping wet to shut it.

On another note I can't go to bed if the mattress cover isn't on properly. But that's for another OCD topic.