Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you close the door when home alone?

• Yes

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 45.8%

• Total voters

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Yup, I dunno I guess it's a habit.

My bathroom is directly connected to my room. Even if the door to my room is shut and locked I still shut and lock my bathroom door when using it.

Edit: Pretty much all the exterior doors to my house are locked at all times. The door to the garage is never locked- the garage is the main entrance way. Nobody every actually ever uses the actual front door. So basically just if the garage doors are shut the house is locked.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
No. There's really no need to. But I'm different with actually every door other than the bathroom! If I'm home alone, every entrance door is shut and locked, and if I'm in say my bedroom, I'll close the door.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Yup. Closing and locking the door is one swift motion with our bathroom's doorknob. It's muscle memory for me. :)

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I always leave my bathroom door open. But this is also because my bathroom measures about 3'x5' including the shower. If it was bigger maybe things would be different.

The door to outside I always keep closed, especially because people wait in front of it sometimes for the bus, or try to get in thinking they are at the accountants next door.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sometimes. :eek: Really just depends. If I know gardeners will be around, I'll close the door in the off chance they can look in. Heh.

But otherwise, I'll leave the door cracked open... What? The cats like to wander in and out.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Bathroom door, that is?
I always find this question interesting.

What constitutes a bathroom?

In the states, typically there is a sink, toilet and shower/bath in one room with a door.

In Korea, Japan, and other Asian nations, the toilet is in it's own room, with a door. And in another room, there is the sink, laundry machine (maybe -- sometimes they are on the outside of the house/apartment), and a door to the shower/bath area.

If you are referring to the toilet area, then door shut but not locked and the fan on.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
No

Cat needs to get in to use litterbox

When guest are over then I close door, with cat inside.

When its family door can be closed - depending on what doing but NEVER locked, too many medical issues and past emergencies to do that.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes.

Always.

With the fan on. If there's no fan, some other means of noise making, like the sink. If I could have a house with an acoustically-isolated and separately ventilated bathroom, I'd be in heaven. I'd love a home with a toilet/sink "powder room" for each family member and a few for guests. Bathrooms shouldn't need to be shared. ;)

So I agree: what happens in the bathroom... stays in the bathroom.

And I need reading material or I'd go insane.

Or perhaps I already have.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Never...2 out of 4 bathrooms in my house open on hallways. I kind of like being in a large open space. :D

No reason to lock in the fumes, either.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Yes I always close the door, though I never lock it. Ill probably still close the door even when I'm living on my own this fall -- it's just a habit, I guess.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Actually... we hang towels on our bathroom door, so it is almost never closed. Having spent most of the last 20 years or so with just two people, neither of whom were all that modest, it has never been a priority.

:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I'm very aware of closing and locking the door when away from home. :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yup, I was wondering this myself and if I was alone in my decision. I had a shower once with the bathroom door open and it just put me at unease and kept thinking about the bloody door. Stupid thing. I think got out of the shower dripping wet to shut it.

On another note I can't go to bed if the mattress cover isn't on properly. But that's for another OCD topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.