General Do you close your apps on your iDevice?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Akarin, Oct 26, 2012.

?

Do you terminate your apps on your iDevice?

1. Yes, I do it most of the time

50.0%
  2. No, I usually don't do it

50.0%
  3. I have no iDevice whatsoever but feel compelled to vote in this poll

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Akarin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Akarin

The question is simple. Do you double tap the home button and systematically terminate your running apps on your iDevice? Why? Why not?

Personally, I do. Because I *think* it saves battery and frees up resources.

2. Spink10
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Spink10

3. PantherCreek
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Only if they require a reboot.
    Otherwise, no.

4. cyks
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

cyks

Unless it's actively using Location Services, there's no need to... and, by forcing it when not needed, you could easily be using MORE battery power.

5. ramnj
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Same reason I do. Don't know if it really helps but I'm used to doing on both iPhone/iPad and Mac Mini.

6. Sital
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Sital

I do for those apps that constantly use location services, if I'm no longing using them. For all the others I sometimes close them, but rather infrequently.

7. Arcade
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Arcade

I have my main aps that I always keep open safari, mail, talkatone, settings, App Store.all other apps I close them.

8. Oridus
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

No, there's no need to, unless the app is having issues

9. jk73
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

You have to hit the home button twice to quit iOS apps?

10. Usehername
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

11. slu
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

slu

12. Matthew9559
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Generally no. I only force quit location services applications since they constantly are getting my location. With normal apps I don't notice a brain drain at all with leaving them suspended.

13. Gutwrench
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

I do. I use the four finger swipe to move between apps and I want to remove those that get in the way.

I also close them as they serve as history too. I clear my call list, texts, and emails are moved to folders.

All you need to know about me is that I carry a S3 in my pocket and I won't hesitate chucking it at someone snooping my IPad.

14. dmelgar, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

dmelgar
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Wrong.
    It does not save battery. It needlessly frees up resources. Apple shared a saying during WWDC, "free memory is wasted memory".

This a list of recently run apps. It is NOT apps that are currently running. iOS for the most part doesn't allow 3rd party apps to continue running. Apps are suspended but remain in memory to be able to start them quicker until memory is needed for something else.

Clearing the list can consume more battery if you end up relaunching the same app again. And the time spent clearing the list is a waste of time and battery power.

15. shurcooL
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

16. Sylon
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

Sylon

I normally close all my apps when I am done with them, with the exception of Tweetbot and Messages, because I am constantly checking those. As for other apps, I only close them so they don't pick up where I left off on them. Some apps don't refresh right when they sit down there. Most of the time they do, but sometimes they don't. So, I close them so they are always opening up new when I open them.

Also, I close an app prior to updating them if there is an update available for them.

17. faroZ06
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

faroZ06

There are bigger things to worry about in life than your cellphone's RAM and battery usage...
    So no. Also, I don't think the background apps really make a difference.

18. rorschach
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

rorschach

No because almost all of those apps aren't running, unless they're one of the few apps that are allowed to run in the background -- like music or navigation apps.

19. dmelgar
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Pretty good video. I only saw one comment I didn't agree with. He specifically said Skype continues to run in the background.

That isn't true.

iOS is very strict about apps running in background. Essentially iOS always asks an app to do something. If that app doesn't finish handling the request within a few second timeout, iOS will kill the app because its not behaving.

Even Skype, or VOIP applications that look like they run in the background act this way. iOS may periodically ask a VOIP app to do something while in the background, but that app has to complete its work within a few seconds or else. And iOS tries very hard to ask it to do something only when necessary and as infrequently as possible. As an example in the case of a VOIP app, the app can be configured so that iOS monitors a network connection and wakes up the app periodically. But the app can't rely on being woken up more frequently than every 10 minutes. The app can then run for up to 5 seconds in the background else its killed.

The bottom line is that iOS rules with an iron fist and doesn't allow apps to misbehave.

That said, Apple's own iOS apps don't have to follow these rules and can get out of hand if bugs are present. But thats rare and Apple tries hard to fix those bugs.

BTW, this is a major difference between iOS and Android. Android apps are asked to play nice, but if they don't, Android can't really do anything about them, in fact, Android probably doesn't know they're still running and consuming battery and resources. So on Android, it can be very important to close background apps or previously run apps because apps can and do misbehave.

20. Jessica Lares
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, constantly. And I find my dad and brother complaining about how slow Netflix is running, and so I always have to help them clear out their multitask.

Having 5 apps open in the background is fine, but then when you have 50 apps paused, and they're all games, that becomes an issue.

21. mrsir2009
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

mrsir2009

See the 'Misconceptions about iPhone Battery Life' section at the bottom of this article :)

As for me, the only time I close iOS apps is when they screw up and need a manual reboot, or if I want to manually refresh it for whatever reason.

22. NedBookPro
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I always close apps like Runkeeper.

It uses a lot of battery while in the background, even when you complete your activity. In this case, it would be great for the app to have a close button. If anything, just to save use of double pressing the home button. We all know how fragile the home button is.

23. Avatarshark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I personally close any apps that I am not using constantly. Something like Settings and Music, or even Safari and mail I don't close, other than that, once I feel I am done with an app I close. I don't have a reason for doing it, I just kept doing it, so it is hard for me to unlearn.

24. saberahul
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

25. EricJD
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Only if an app locks up completely or has some network issue and won't refresh information. Other than that, there's no need.