Do you consider Apple watch use to be "two handed"?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kovey, Apr 12, 2015.

1. kovey macrumors 6502a

I keep seeing people say that you need two hands to operate the Apple watch. I don't necessarily see this as the case. With my current watch, I can be holding a dog leash on that same arm as the watch is in, be getting something from my pocket, using a fork, giving somebody the finger, etc, all while still pushing the buttons on the watch with my other hand.

Here's a fun experiment for the non believers :p Picture a watch on your left wrist. Lay both hands on a table face down. Reach with your right hand to push a button on your watch. Did your left arm even move, let alone even lift off the table? Nope.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm thinking those people saying the watch requires "two-handed use" have either never worn a watch,, or is just desperate to find negative points against the watch. They just seem to have no idea how easy it is to just raise your hand to glance at your wrist. It's true that your other hand has to be free if you want to interact with the watch, so for people who use their phone one-handed, you could say that the watch requires an arm plus a hand, while the phone requires a hand only. But they don't take into account that a phone has to be put away somewhere once you are done with it. The watch, you just carry on doing whatever you are doing, because it is fixed to your wrist. This "no need to take out and put away" is what makes the watch much more convenient than a phone.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How can you operate it with the hand that you're wearing the watch on? More like one wrist-one hand.

However, it's different from two-handed operation on, say, the iPhone 6+. You can still be carrying something with the hand that you're wearing the watch on whereas that's not possible if typing with both hands on the iPhone.

4. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone be desperate to find negative things to say about the watch? To use the crown or to press the buton, you need to use a finger for stability, and the other finger for manipulation, and the most optimal way to do this is to position your wrist in the easiest way for this to occur. That alone makes it a two handed device.

The example the OP cited is pretty bad too. If you get a notification or something that requires you to act, it's unlikely that you're going to adjust your head and eyes so that you don't need to move your arm. You're going to adjust your wrist to an optimal position to take action.

5. Trhodezy macrumors regular

Exactly that. A dear friend of mine is against the Apple Watch because it's "not a watch, MY Rolex is better.." etc and, for the most part, the debate boils down to him saying how the Apple Watch having to be two-handed.

My counter-argument is that his watch is also two-handed. Think about it, the only thing you do with a basic watch is looking at the time; the apple watch does this, and adjusting the time requiring you to use your other hand to turn the crown thus making it two-handed also.

Then there's the argument that it's two-handed because of it's functions such as scrolling through emails, selecting friends to message etc: If a Rolex did that, it would also be two-handed

All these naysayers that complain about the Apple Watch need to stop, take a breath and then think before they speak. The Apple Watch by it's very definition is a watch (a smart one) and a watch, such as the aforementioned Rolex, is just a dumb watch.

Just my two pence and a slight rant. Excuse we while I go eat some Pork and cider pie.

6. Ries macrumors 68000

Please, you're reaching with desperate arguments. You can't operate the watch without using both arms, the hand that has the watch can't do whatever it likes, so it IS a two hand device. By your logic, I can hold a bag of groceries and use the the phone in the same hand, does that make it a zero hand device?

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If you have a bag of groceries or baby in your right arm, and your watch on the left arm, then...

You can still raise the watch to see the time, or notifications. And use Siri. Things that do not require physical interaction.

You cannot use the watch for Apple Pay because you can't double-click the bottom button. You cannot answer the phone. You cannot choose items or scroll. You cannot do non-Siri supported actions. (At least, not easily, without taking a chance of dropping whatever is in your right arm.)

This is why people say it takes two hands.

--

However, you can hold an iPhone in your free hand, and do almost anything, since people are able to use that same free hand to click, scroll, type on the phone it's holding.

That makes the iPhone a legitimate one-handed device, and that's what people are comparing it to, I think.