Do you continuously plug your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yudilks, Aug 27, 2007.

?

Do you continuously plug your MB/MBP (operating or sleeping)?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. yudilks macrumors regular

Will it degrade the battery? Since it's fully charged and enclosed in a relatively high temperature?

2. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

So that would be a no for me, I take my MBP with me use it through the day occasionally without a plug and then when I get home I charge it up.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Remember to calibrate your battery. Otherwise, it won't hurt your battery too much in the long run. If your computer goes for long periods without being unplugged, why not remove it? Also, get a good stand so that your notebook has good heat flow.

4. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

That's a no for me also... I only plug mine in when the battery is almost completely used up after working with it. I've found the battery lasts longer and does not build up a memory of not using it fully.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I leave it plugged in at home and over night but I don't bring the adapter with me to class. I do bring the adapter when I have two 3 hour lecture classes though.

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

It's normally plugged in when I'm in the office. But it's mostly on battery since I'm out most of the time.

7. johnfromspokane macrumors newbie

I plug in at my normal desk,

but I spend time in various labs and meetings throughout the day,and usually let it discharge a bit at these times. I didn't think Li-Ion was supposed to be prone to "memory effects". Good practice to discharge at least 50% once a week though.

JF

8. kolax macrumors G3

The computer doesn't operate as fast without the battery being plugged in - remember the A.C. adapter is a charger, not a PSU. It isn't designed to run the computer at full speed, it is designed to charge the battery.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Apple says...

Having been a "consumer of most types of Rechargeable batteries" since the beginning... Lithium Ion batts are so much better than others!! I do believe they like to be "Used" by Cycling thru some times, but U don't have to do this every time... a few times a month maybe?? I cannot say for sure but mine seem to last longer between charges if I do this....

Apple says this: http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/

Hope it Enlightens All!! ;)

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Still, running your notebook without the battery is possible. There are many who do it. Personally, I don't because I never know when I want to pick up and go. Plus, there's the advantage of being safe in a power outage.

11. Caezar macrumors 6502

I will soon purchase a new MBP that I will probably leave plugged all day long and mostly use as a desktop replacement, with an external screen attached to it.

I will remove the battery but I don't want the battery bay to be empty. Is it possible to replace the battery with a dummy in its place?

12. yudilks thread starter macrumors regular

It's good idea to remove the battery when plugged in, but the thing is with a magsafe thingy, I'm afraid it'll just shut down when someone accidentally snapped the cable.. :p

13. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

nope, I take it with me to classes and lectures. plug it in to charge when theres about 10-20% battery life left.

14. rev316 macrumors regular

Just left it plug'd in. Four Mac/Powerbooks later; all kept solid battery life.

15. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

'nuff Said....

Good enough for me... Charge/ Discharge will keep it Happy :) :) :)

16. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Don't take the battery out if you are going to run it while plugged in.

A) You run a HIGH risk of knocking the magsafe out and loosing all power

B) Your processor will underclock to 1.0 GHz instead of the 2.16/2.2/2.4/etc. so you loose almost all computing power

17. pdra05 macrumors regular

I usually plug the adapter only when battery level reaches 0%.. My battery lasts longer this way. :)

18. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

doesn't running on battery only decrease performance? Especially for gaming..

19. kolax macrumors G3

Same performance on battery and being plugged in AFAIK.

20. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Mine is constantly plugged in when I'm at home, but it goes to class with me every week day so I'd say it definitely is getting it's work out.

21. Helfeather macrumors member

Seriously, when I continously plugged my Macbook Pro and used it for a month, when I checked Battery Monitor afterwards, the health was still at 100%.

But when I started getting worried about this calibration crap, I began intentionally draining my battery even though I was next to an outlet and only charged it when it was low on battery.

I checked the Battery Monitor again, and the health went down more in 3 days than it did in 1 month.

My advice is to leave it plugged in whenever possible, even if it is at 100%, that's what I'm doing anyways

22. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I plug it in when I'm at home but it gets used when I'm in class or I'm out so I guess it gets quite a healthy workout. My last battery was faulty (I think). The battery health was like 60% after only 100 cycles. But Apple came through, they replaced it for me. So now I don't really know what to do about it.

23. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

as soon as my battery health gets below 60% i am buying a new bat. i use my battery all the time:rolleyes:

24. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Co-sign on this, when you remove the battery the laptop underclocks itself to about 50%, so it's not ideal at all to run the laptop without a battery installed.

25. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Oh wow, I didn't know that.