Do you delete the Apple apps automatically included with 64GB models.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I have Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, Garageband, and iTunes U just sitting in a folder that I created called "Apple Apps." Did you guys just delete these as soon as you got your iPhone 6? I feel like they are wasting space. If they are now associated with my Apple ID, I can download them anytime I want in the future? Did you guys delete them?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I deleted them, but reinstalled iMovie because non-iOS devices seem to have issues with slow motion. Even Mavericks doesn't play it back correctly so I use iMove to "edit" my slow motion before I send it off so it plays correctly.

It turned my 12 second slow motion video into a 30 second video that played correctly on Mac and Windows.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
If I remember correctly it's hardware tied. iWork and iLife became free suites on both OS X and iOS last year, but only on models sold since the announcement.

They are all showing as paid apps on my iPhone 5 for example, which is why I never bothered to use them.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
If I remember correctly it's hardware tied. iWork and iLife became free suites on both OS X and iOS last year, but only on models sold since the announcement.

They are all showing as paid apps on my iPhone 5 for example, which is why I never bothered to use them.
So if you upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6, and sign in with the Apple ID onto the iPhone 6, that is how you tie the software to your ID for future associations?

fxbeta

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Deleted. Will download and install if/when I need them. But if I ever really NEED "Numbers" so I can edit spreadsheets on my phone, my life took a wrong turn somewhere.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
cool thanks, so they are paid on older than 6 iphones? unless your apple id is linked to a 6 also?
So if you upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6, and sign in with the Apple ID onto the iPhone 6, that is how you tie the software to your ID for future associations?
They announced it between two devices, both of which I purchased (can't remember which two). My first device, didn't show them as free. My second device (after the announcement) did show them as free. I "purchased" them for free on the second device, then was able to download them on the first device.

As for the original question, I restored my iPhone 6 to iOS 8 as soon as I got it, so didn't see the apps - wasn't aware Apple actually did include them until I saw someone post on the forum about it.
I downloaded them all when it asked when I first went to the App Store.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012

If you bought a device after that announcement, then the apps are free for all devices regardless of whether they were purchased before or after that.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I must be the only one who really likes these apps. I use Pages quite a lot. I like Numbers a lot on the desktop, it's a bit awkward in iOS (but then that's probably true of most spreadsheets).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.