Do you desire to give up everything?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 1, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I do

I hate money. I hate what it does to people

Same with possessions. I hate them. I hate how others judge base off materialistic crap

I want to give it all up. I want to live

I hate the constraints of society. I hate the rules.

I desire to live. I desire to pursue happiness. I desire to look back and not have regret.

I wish to explore the world. I wish to experience what this world offers

I hate how I and many spends the best years of their lives slaving away at work. Working on things that ultimately do not matter. Why, why, why.

I don't care to know anything. I don't care to be smart. I don't care to try and explain things. It is ultimately useless

Just let it be. Just appreciate the moment

I only live once

We only live once

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Where to start with your post. Why did you go to college? Why did you move from CO to NY? You're entirely capable of living the life you want to live if you can figure it out with the finances. Quit your job, buy a backpack and raise your thumb on the road.

I prefer to work a job and create the happiness in my off time.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I went to school as that is what is needed to function well in society for the most part.

I had to get a job frankly and none in CO that I could find.

While true, my post was more of what goes on inside in my head. Takes quite a lot to act out my desires haphazardly
    Good point.

I just get frustrated with life at times.

Seems I always face "constraints" or "consequences" to what I actually want to do

Requires one to be bold/crazy to do what they want when they want

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Let you in on a little secret. We all do at one time or another.

Working at something that you enjoy makes a huge difference in life. It makes it fun to go to work and interact with people.

Regardless how much you make, try to save and invest at least 10% off the top before taxes. Over time, try to move that goal to 25% When you are older, you will be glad that you did.

Live each day as if it is your last. Make the most out of it. If there is somewhere that you want to visit, plan for it, save and go.

Life is a journey. Enjoy it. :)

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're welcome to sell all your worldly possessions and close your bank account (as well as charging up all your credit cards) and sending the money to me. Unless you're still drunk posting from last night. :)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Find some worth while charities and donate to them. There is a lot of people hurting and many charities are as well.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hey Duke, are you familiar with a guy named Peter Jenkins and the the books he has written? He felt the sentiments you have posted and just took off on an adventure to walk across America to just experience whatever was out there. It's a cool true story and worth reading. He has his own website here. And his Wiki page is here.

[​IMG]

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Passion in what you do is a great contributor to happiness from what I have seen. That, and the ability to shed yourself of any unnecessary trappings in life. Desire leads to suffering as any thing that you can desire is impermanent and therefore will one day be gone and so you will suffer at its loss.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The Iscariot who controls the destiny of all life is not the same Iscariot that existed three years ago. I've made some life-altering decisions in the past couple of years that have ultimately changed almost everything about me. It took sacrifice, planning, an insane amount of dedication, and a level of introspection most people aren't comfortable with to get here, and the road has been more challenging than I thought possible. I have debts, scars, and losses, nothing will ever be the same, and for the first time in my life I have no regrets.

It starts when the excuses end.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

That line influenced my sig:)

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

So then what are you going to do?

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Great thread.

What is great is that you have this wisdom at your young age, where many of the people your age either want to get high as much as possible, be in disasterous relationships, or fall prey to thinking things/money can ultimately make you happy.

Like some people said, travel, preferably overseas where people live in a different culture and may have different viewpoints, and you will be glad you did. Making friends with as diverse a crowd as you can, especially overseas, will be something no classroom education or savings account can bring to you.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Truth be told, I feel the same way.

But, I do realize that a currency is needed in the world. If it wasn't for anybody wanting to "get wealthier", they would not invent/discover new things, and therefore inventions would be at a standstill. (I'm pretty sure I worded that correctly. I can't exactly phrase what's in my mind sometimes :eek:)

So, with that in mind, I will continue my High School education, go to college, and get a good job.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I know a few people who had really great inventions and they didn't do it for the money, and in fact just for a normal salary. These people, who make something you likely have in your pocket or at your desk at work, or most of us, could have made them extremely rich had they taken up the project on their own or insisted on some royalties.

Some great inventors with great products or ideas are pretty much satisfied with being a part of something that changed the world. Innovation is not always about wealth.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Touché.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Very true.

I would venture to say that few are ultimately motivated by money in the long run.

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Go for it!

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like working and money because it enables me to afford traveling. If you find a job you really like doing then it doesn't even feel like work. Maybe try looking (I really wouldn't know how though) for a job abroad, or a job where you get to travel around a lot.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Definitely true.

Plus you will do a better job at something that you enjoy. :)

21. Masters512 macrumors member

Masters512

you know theres a movie about this right?

Attached Files:

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'll try. I'm in Wollongong, so I'll try to do it when I get home, you......you gay!