Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In answer to the thread, no, I don't. Historically, Ireland has had much the same love affair with tea as the UK (for well known historical reasons) but in general, I don't share this. My preference is for coffee, and generally I have one or two mugs of excellent coffee daily; the first one in the morning is a must, anything else a bonus.

However, I drink tea (both real, i.e. black, and herbal) when I have a bad cold, or am otherwise unwell, or about to feel unwell. Strangely, I can't touch coffee then. Actually, I drink tea in huge amounts then, - when unwell - an admission which might give grist to the mill of the posters who claim tea is good for you. An earlier poster wrote about the need to have it very hot, not too hot, "hit the spot" hot, and I agree completely. Apart from herbal teas, which I drink as they are, occasionally adding organic honey, I drink tea with milk and no sugar.

Cheers

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
white tea?
never seen that in UK.

Yes drinking tea is VERY british.
but some of you people, 5 to 8 times a day is a bit too much.
I mostly drink tea out of routine. But one coffee in the morning is essential.

Lately ive discovered that brown sugar tastes better in tea.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2007
like kabunaru, i don't use sweetener or milk in tea either. but if i'm having an iced tea then i like it with a wedge of lemon. i also prefer loose tea (mostly herbal types) over any pre-bagged variety. i will on occasion have some green tea, but like many others it seems, i always start my day with black coffee.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Why so snotty? :rolleyes:

Why add something to the tea that will negate the benefits of tea? :rolleyes:

Because people don't drink it for the benefits! They drink it because it's a social thing to do and they like the taste. Why drink something you don't like or something that could be made better by adding a little honey or sugar?

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Because people don't drink it for the benefits! They drink it because it's a social thing to do and they like the taste. Why drink something you don't like or something that could be made better by adding a little honey or sugar?

Ok, I see now. People should drink teas in whatever ways they like.
I just thought that IJ Reilly replied to me in an argumentative conceited attitude. :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

Okay, now I'm being argumentative (in a rather facetious manner): I actually do drink green tea for the benefits.. I just don't drink it that often (once every week or less) :p

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Okay, now I'm being argumentative (in a rather facetious manner): I actually do drink green tea for the benefits.. I just don't drink it that often (once every week or less) :p

Yeah, you are being argumentative. :p If you'd read any of my other posts you'd know that I know some people drink it for the benefits, most people drink it as it's part of their culture.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
If you knew me at all you'd know I never read previous posts, so touche :p :D

I agree most people don't give a hoot about drinking it for the benefits. That's was prescribed medication and supplements are for I guess...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why so snotty? :rolleyes:

Why add something to the tea that will negate the benefits of tea? :rolleyes:

Why are you so sure you know what's best for everyone, Mr. Rolleyes? Please consider that before you call someone else conceited.

As I pointed out, the health benefits are far from proven, and the issue of tannin in tea is also a consideration. Milk neutralizes tannin, which is almost certainly a good thing.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Why are you so sure you know what's best for everyone, Mr. Rolleyes? Please consider that before you call someone else conceited.

As I pointed out, the health benefits are far from proven, and the issue of tannin in tea is also a consideration. Milk neutralizes tannin, which is almost certainly a good thing.

But milk also comes from a cow. Seriously you're practically breast feeding from a cow! Why do people drink that stuff!?

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
people in india and pakistan drink lots of tea, daily, all their lives.
and generally they live long lives in india. Or maybe their open source (sic) tea is healthier.

Tony Benn, british politician drank 10-15 cups of tea every day.

Tea has caffiene in it, so not the healthiest. Apart green tea and stuff.
Drinking tea is comforting.
I drink tea and have fan on, cause inside of my body begins to warm up, so it cools me down. :D

although coffee (caffiene) has no proven bad affects. In moderation i think caffiene and coffee are ok, and some studies have even noticed benefits of drinking coffee.

yes milk helps sleep.
I drink hot milk before bed, or ovalitine in it, or hot chocolate in hot milk.

But also, i heard normal milk, from cows, is not healthy.
Ive heard soya milk is healthier. But it dont taste the same.

Anyone tried drinking a pint of tea or coffee?
Only for HARD CORE people.
I started off drinking pint of black coffee. To see what all the fuss was about.
I stayed awake all night, shaking and hyper, it was fun.

I only started drinking coffee because david lynch spoke about it alot. Now im hooked.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I do drink Skimmed Milk before I go to bed. Milk helps sleep:
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/816_milk_helps_sleep.htm

Also, Bedtime De-caffeinated Herbal Tea helps sleep as well.

It still makes me sick to think drinking it. Milk is meant to support infants of the species. There is no other animal that drinks milk after infancy, nor is there an animal that drinks the milk of other animals. I'm not making a great argument against milk, but it still weirds me out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.