Do you enjoy updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanlindsay, Apr 29, 2008.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

I don't know why but I just love them. Sometimes it's thinking the system performance just went up 0.5% other times it's knowing some tiny security loophole has been patched rendering a hacker temporarily inert. Obviously when a major bug is resolved that's great too but these happen less often.

Anyways if you're anything like me, I recommend you install Ubuntu 8.04 on your computer. It has lots of packages and there's pretty much updates daily. I actually triple boot OSX, XP, Ubuntu on my MBP to maximize my update opportunities and I can't recommend it enough. The Xp SP3, bootcamp 2.1 vmware 1.1.2 combo was a real treat.

If you haven't tried the new version of Ubuntu(8.04) I strongly recommend it. The graphical interface is fantastic, equally as good as OSX and it's just as fast. Cheers,

Alan

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

and this is MBP related how :)

i dual boot. xp updates are enough for me.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I do, it's exciting! :D Not sure why since most of the time nothing changes! But there's still the prospect of getting better performance or new things.

I've installed Hardy Heron but I can never really find much use for it. :/ It's great how it's evolving though. :)

4. Shabbis macrumors regular

I enjoy updates from Apple, but dread them from Microsoft.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Don't even get me started on Internet Explorer 7. Not sure why I was trying to put it on my mom's computer, but downloading it and restarting twice via Windows Update did not work. PHHHBBBTTTT.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thank God for Google!!
    Hardy Heron?? (code name for Ubuntu)

I thought it was a game or something... or maybe pr0n :eek:

It never fails... my updates ALWAYS make Safari "snappier"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. vniow macrumors G4

8. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Haha! :p Oh yes, those bird beaks are really quite something. . ;)

Meow, meow - KarenCat :D

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

We have 4 Mac's at home and it pisses me off!

Three are Intel and I use Apple Remote Desktop to distribute them, but it still takes ages doing them all. Thank god I don't have to do it at work!

pac

10. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Do you smoke after a reboot? :)

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Yes! I love them. I think its because I used to dread them on my dell because they would take HOURS, now on my mac its like 5 minutes. By the time I’m finished getting a drink, its done. I love it.

12. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Used to love them.

Then after 10.5.2 , I can no longer let my 15" mbp 2.4 go to sleep. It wakes up for a few seconds (2 to 5), then goes back to sleep. MOST of the time, I have to shut it down (after waking it up a few times); remove the battery, press the power button for 5 secs, and wait a few minutes before putting the battery back on to turn on the laptop. 90% of the time, it wakes okay. It's like a crapshoot.

A US$ 3000 laptop that cannot be allowed to go to sleep... Needless to say, I have mixed feelings about my first Apple laptop.

13. JoshLV macrumors regular

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Speaking of updates.. here's one:

time to smoke... :)

Attached Files:

15. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

Scored that badboy already.